Thursday, January 6, 2011

Psalm 6

PSALM 6

Prayer for God's Mercy

This is the first of 7 penitential psalms by David.  Probably Psalm 51 is the most well-known for his confession of sin.  The first few verses of this Psalm declare David's lament, while the last few verses express David's confidence that God has heard his prayer.  What JOY we have in that there IS forgiveness for sin when sin is confessed!


The perfect illustration of repentance - a turning of the heart, a turning of the behavior!


WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • Mercy is found in God
  • My sin requires God's chastening
  • Even in my sin, God returns and saves for His mercy's sake
  • The Lord hears my voice
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
I praise the Lord because the heaviness of my sin is lifted by Jesus' completed work on the cross.  In my repentance, there is forgiveness for my sin.  I praise the Lord for His mercy! 

PRAYER:
    Father, sin is so grave and never to be taken lightly!  My sin is what placed Christ on the cross!  O Lord, how that fills my heart with overwhelming grief, and yet unspeakable thankfulness for what You did for me!
     Please forgive me when I don't give You the honor for which You are worthy.  When I take You for granted.  When I assume upon Your mercies.  You know my frame, O Lord - You know I am as dust!  Please bear me up in my weaknesses.
    Father, may I be repentant always.  Thank You for forgiveness of sin - I love You, O Lord!  In Jesus' Name ~ Amen


 

No comments:

Post a Comment