Saturday, January 22, 2011

Psalm 22

PSALM 22

"Psalm of the Cross"
also, "The Suffering Servant"

This Psalm of David testifies to the sufferings of Christ and the glory that would follow.  Incredible to see David pen the very words that Christ would utter on the cross!

Upon reading this Psalm, it seems that it is in 2 parts:  Verses 22:1-21 are a most pitiful cry for help, and verses 22-31 indicate a most precious foretaste of deliverance.

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD:
  • God is holy
  • God is trustworthy
  • God is our Deliverer
  • God is our strength
  • The kingdom is the Lord's and He rules over the nations
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • There are no adequate words to use to praise God for the cross.  My mind still grapples with the horror of it, and yet it is a glory as well.  Whenever I read accounts of the crucifixion, I am so sad and mortified at the wretchedness of humanity and the inhumane way we treat fellow human beings.
  • My heart praises God that He made way for my salvation through the perfect life of Jesus Christ and His work upon the cross. 
  • I praise Him that He chose me!
PRAYER:
     Father, my heart is so sad when I read accounts of the cross because it was so cruel, yet I know that in it is the most glorious work ever accomplished.  I am so sorry (how trite!) that it was my sin that made the cross necessary, and I praise You that You provided a way - THE way - for my salvation through Your Son!  Thank You for opening my eyes to my need for a Savior.  Thank You that You always provide for my needs - that they never escape You.  Thank You that I never escape Your gaze.
     I love You, Lord, and pray all this through the wonderful name of Jesus Christ ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment