Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Psalm 4

PSALM 4

"Jehovah-Jireh" - means "The Lord has seen" or "The Lord will provide"
This is the name Abraham gave to the place on Mt. Moriah where God provided the necessary sacrifice for Abraham and his son Isaac.  'Jehovah-Jireh' came to my mind when I was reading Psalm 4 - in the very first verse, David refers to God as "O God of my righteousness."  How we are in great need of righteousness, yet are totally incapable of providing it for ourselves.  As He did with Abraham on Mt. Moriah, He continues to do for us today - what our God requires of us, He Himself provides.  Our God provides our righteousness through His Son Jesus Christ.
"Now this is His name by which He will be called:
     THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS"       JER. 23:6
WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM?
  • God is my righteousness
  • God is merciful; hears my prayers
  • God is worthy of my trust and my sacrifices
  • The Lord is my gladness
  • The Lord is my safety and shelter
 HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM?
  • I praise the Lord because HE is my righteousness - it is not something I must attain on my own.  He is Jehovah-Jireh, and will provide the righteousness I need. 
  • I praise the Lord that HE is my safety - not finances, not health reports, not world events
  • I praise the Lord that He hears when I call to Him - that we worship a Living God!
  • I praise the Lord that He is worthy of my trust.
 PRAYER:
     Thank You, Father, that Your ear is open to me when I call.  At any time.  Thank You that You are my relief in my distress.  Your mercy is overwhelming, and my gratitude is too small.
     Father, I know that I have been set apart to You through Your choice of me, and I long to live a life worthy of that calling.  I long for my life to be different from that of the world - but I know I fail You every day.  I recognize that this is something I could never achieve on my own, but that I must rely on Your Holy Spirit's power for my sanctification.  May my life become a living sacrifice, holy & acceptable to You.
     Father, I want to meditate on You, to be still before You and learn of You.  May I give You my first thought when I rise in the morning, and my last thought when I fall asleep at night.
     May I offer to You the sacrifice of righteous living, and may my trust be only placed in You.
     Father, I pray that You will put Your gladness and joy in my heart!  May I not seek after the things of the world to fulfill me.
     Thank You for my safety and the safety of my family.  Thank You for peaceful and restorative sleep, and for good health.  In Jesus' Name I pray ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment