Friday, January 28, 2011

Psalm 29

PSALM 29

"The Powerful Voice of God"

One of my favorite places to be is beside the ocean – because I so strongly feel the power of God there.  The ocean is so powerful, and the hand of my Creator is so evident in its tides and waves, and all the beautiful creatures that inhabit it. 

"The voice of the Lord is over the waters . . . " ~Ps. 29:3
I am always reminded of this verse in the book of Job when I am walking on the beach, with the waves lapping at my feet:
 Who shut in the sea with doors . . . when I fixed My limit for it, and set bars and doors; when I said, “This far you may come, but no farther, and here your proud waves must stop.  ~ Job 38:8-11
Today we don’t “hear” the voice of God audibly as Old Testament believers like Abraham & Moses did, but as Christians we are filled with the Holy Spirit, and He does ‘speak’ to our hearts & minds.  We also “hear” God’s voice through His word.  Often times, when I am trying to figure out a solution to a problem, or counseling a friend with an issue, I will say:  Imagine you are standing before the throne of God – what do you think He would say to you about this? 

We also hear the voice of God through Jesus.  The Bible says that Jesus is God in the flesh.  Therefore, if you want to hear the voice of God, you must study & know the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Another of my favorite prayer-poems by Ruth Harms Calkin:

One of Two Choices
When You speak to me, Lord
I have one of two choices:
I either do what You say
Or I tell You I refuse to obey.
Perhaps that explains
My reluctance at times to listen.
Listening to You
Leaves one choice and an alternate.
And the choice is always mine.

Like nature, may we always obey the voice of the Lord!

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • The Lord is worthy of glory & praise
  • The voice of the Lord is powerful, full of majesty
  • The Lord gives strength to His people
  • The Lord blesses His people with peace
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • Do you ever imagine what the throne of God will look like?
    I praise God because His voice is mighty and nature obeys it.  All of nature hears & obeys God’s voice.
  • I praise God because He sits enthroned as King forever, even during calamities where it seems the very foundation of the earth is shaken – God is not moved.
  • I praise God because He is the source of our strength – it is not we ourselves.
  • I praise Him because He blesses His people with peace, and gives us rest unto our souls.

PRAYER:
     Father, may my ears always be opened to Your voice, and may I obey, like all of nature.  Your voice is so powerful and none can stay it.  You have said in Your word that if I love You, I will keep Your commandments.  May I live more obediently day by day, O Lord!
     I praise You, Father, that You sit enthroned and unmoved even when the earth seems so out of control!  What great security we have in that assurance!  Thank You, God, that You are indeed the God of the universe!  How I praise You with a thankful heart to be Your child!
  I love You, Lord – in Jesus’ name I pray ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment