Sunday, January 16, 2011

Psalm 17

PSALM 17

"Hide Me under the Shadow of Your Wings"

King David is in great distress & danger by the malice of his enemies.  He is praying to God, asking for His protection & deliverance.   So MUCH to learn from this Psalm.  A great truth is in verse 4:
By the word of Your lips, I have kept away from the paths of the destroyer.
My Bible makes this note:
The Bible serves as a measuring rod or ruler.  Teachers have used wooden rulers in their classes not only to give the right measurement, but on occasion, to correct a misbehaving pupil.  God’s Word likewise can do both of these things.  It should be used a standard against which to measure our beliefs.  And sometimes our Heavenly Teacher uses His written ruler to correct us when we are in the wrong.  Israel’s great king David once experienced this:  “You have dealt well with Your servant, O Lord, according to Your word . . . Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep Your word.” ~ Ps. 119:65-67
Are you using the great resource of God’s Word?  What a blessed freedom to live in a country where we can freely read the Bible without fear of persecution!  Don’t be remiss in this glorious freedom! 

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • The Lord hears my cry
  • Vindication is from the hand of the Lord – I do not need to seek my own revenge!
  • The Lord allows testings of our faith
  • The Lord keeps my footsteps sure on His path for me
  • The Lord is lovingly kind
  • The Lord saves those who trust in Him
  • My protection & deliverance is from the Lord
We see the word “portion” again in Ps. 17 like we did in Ps. 16.  Verse 14 is talking about people of this world who lay up for themselves only earthly treasures – they have only what is in this world; there is nothing for them afterwards. 

 David pleads his own dependence on God as his portion and happiness.  In verse 15, he is claiming his eternal treasures – commentator Matthew Henry makes this observation on vs 15:
“When the soul awakes, at death, out of its slumber in the body . . . blessedness will consist in three things:
  1. The immediate vision of God and His glory – “I will see Your face in righteousness”
  2. The participation of His likeness – “when I awake in His likeness”
  3. A complete and full satisfaction – “I shall be satisfied”
David had a great understanding of life after death, and the intimacy with which he relates to his God – as we are discovering through the Psalms – shows us how to also long for that “other world.”

HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God that His ear hears me!
  • I praise Him that my vindication is in His hand – I don’t have to pursue my enemies or exact my own cause.  The Lord’s eye sees!
  • I praise the Lord that this world – full of its short-comings and pain – is not the one for which the children of God were ultimately created.  We are beings created by God for relationship with Him – and we will enjoy this fellowship for all eternity!
PRAYER:
     O Lord – may I learn to have the heart of David – a servant of God who sought the mind of God, one who is known as the man “after God’s own heart.”  May You transform me into a child after Your own heart.  May I recognize, like David, that my deliverance is in You.  Thank You, Father, that Your ear hears my cry!  Lord, what an unspeakable thing – to be able to call upon the God of the universe, and He inclines His ear to me!  Thank You that You are a just & righteous Judge, and that You are my vindicator.  There is comfort even in that , O Lord – knowing that You see!  You see every hidden thing, every hidden action against Your children.  May I repent of any hatred, bitterness, or vengeful feelings & actions and trust You to vindicate me!  Grant to me great wisdom in my life’s circumstances, O Lord . . . to know when to wait and when to act. 
      Heavenly Father, would you be pleased to keep me, like David, as the apple of Your eye?  How I long for Your favor and Your blessings in my life and in the lives of those I love. 
     Thank You, Father, that we can know that we are merely “passing through” this world, and will one day behold You in Your glory.  On that day, our faith will be sight and our prayer will be praise!  Keep us until then, O Lord, hidden under the shadow of Your wings.

     In Jesus’ name I pray ~ Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment