Sunday, January 30, 2011

Psalm 31

PSALM 31

"Be of Good Courage"

Psalm 31:14-15, "I trust in You, O Lord, I say, "You are my God."  My times are in Your hand . . ."


One of corporate America's most famous advertising taglines is celebrated its 50th anniversary last year, and is proving to be more enduring than ever.  Recently ranked the nation's No.1 advertising slogan by Northwestern University, the Allstate slogan "You're in good hands" was created half a century ago by a company sales executive to demonstrate Allstate's ongoing commitment to customers.  The phrase came to him as the result of a reassuring remark made to his wife about their ailing child. . In the spring of 1950 the youngest daughter of Allstate general sales manager Davis W. Ellis was stricken with hepatitis a few days before she was to graduate from high school.  Arriving home from work one night shortly after she had been hospitalized, a worried Ellis was greeted by reassuring words from his wife, who told him, "The hospital said not to worry.  We're in good hands with the doctor."
    Later that year, Ellis and a marketing team were locked in an all-day brainstorming session to develop a slogan for the company's first major national advertising campaign.  When the group was about to give up for the day, Ellis remembered the reassuring remarks.  It was then and there the slogan was born.
Allstate could have gotten the same slogan from verse 15 of today's Psalm - our times are in His hand.  A perfect reason to have no worry or fear.  Allstate has recently used another slogan in their ad campaign:
Mayhem is everywhere - are you in good hands?
Do you feel like that at times - that mayhem IS everywhere and there is no place to turn?  Christian, know that you are held securely in the palm of His hand.  Jesus said these words:
My sheep hear My voice, and I know them and they follow Me.  And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.  ~John 10:28
WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is my rock, my fortress of defense.  He is able to save me
  • God is my Redeemer, my leader, my guide
  • God is my strength
  • My trust is in God, who knows my adversities and saves me from them
  • God sets my feet in a wide place
  • God's goodness is great.  God's kindness is marvelous
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God because my times are in His hand - what wonderful security there is found in that truth!
  • I praise God because He makes His face shine upon me.
  • How I praise Him that He preserves the faithful, and that He strengthens my heart
PRAYER:
     Thank You, O Lord, for Your marvelous kindness and Your great goodness!  How I bless You, Father, that Your prepare goodness for those who trust you.  May I always grow in my faith & trust.  Forgive me when I trust You so little.  Why do I do that?  Father, You are worthy, yet I am so weak.  Bear me up, O Lord!  Thank You for the preservation You provide to the faithful.  May I remain faithful and never falter.
     Father, I praise You that my times are in Your hand.  O Lord my God, how I praise You for that wonderful truth, and the security & assurance found in that promise.  Lord, you know how anxious I can be at times . . . what gracious peace I have in YOU.  Thank You, O Lord - in Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment