Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Psalm 131

A Childlike Faith

Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul,
Like a weaned child with his mother;
Like a weaned child is my soul within me.
~ Ps. 131:2

I never really understood those verses above until I became a mother.  When my children were babies and got hungry, they would scream and cry.  I would say to them, "Mama's coming, Mama's coming" but nothing would comfort them until the bottle was in their mouth and the milk began to fill their tummies.

But when they got to be toddlers and were "weaned" to solid food, they would sit in their high chairs and wait for me as I prepared their food.  They could see that I was getting it ready, and they were much more patient to wait - no screaming and crying because they knew they could trust me - dinner was coming!

I have written in the margin of my Bible beside Psalm 131 "full trust" - that is the picture the psalmist is trying to depict to the reader. 

My Bible also notes that a weaned child is a symbol of contentment.  The psalmist has been weaned from a self-centered life and thus finds quietness.

In yesterday's psalm, David spoke of forgiveness and celebrates the blessedness of a man whose transgressions are pardoned.  Psalm 131 is a song of humility and celebrates the blessedness of the man who is of a meek and lowly spirit.  Forgiveness should humble us.
A man does well to know his own size.  ~ Spurgeon

Neither do I concern myself with great matters,
Nor with things too profound for me.
~ Ps. 131:1
I love verse 1 - David's life is an excellent example to us of TRUSTING GOD - he didn't concern himself with things too profound to him.  He knew he was chosen by God to be king of Israel but he allowed God to move in His own time . . . David didn't push himself forward or take the throne violently.  The persecution by Saul lasted about 10 years - he left it entirely to God to remove Saul. 

Submission to God's guidance, resignation to His dispensations, contentment with that which was allotted to him, are the distinguishing traits of David's noble character.
~ Franz Delitzsch

A child's heart is one that trusts unconditionally.  Like David, may we live our lives with that quiet, contented trust in God!

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is my Heavenly Father, and I can trust Him with a childlike faith
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God that I can trust Him as His child
  • I praise God that I don't have to concern myself with great matters that belong to God, or with things too profound for me
PRAYER:
YOUR CHILD, GOD

O God
With deep contrition
I shamefully confess
My small concept of You
My puny faith
My limited comprehension.
Forgive me, O God
And enlarge my narrow vision.
Stimulate my trust
As I concentrate on Your greatness.
Give me even now
A true perspective
Of Your majestic power
To totally transform the child
On whom You have set Your love -
The child whose name is engraved
On the palm of Your hand
The child who claims You
As her Maker and Master.
Your child, God!
Me!

~ Ruth Harms Calkin

No comments:

Post a Comment