Saturday, May 28, 2011

Psalm 128

Blessing on the House of the God-Fearing

This is a family-psalm in that through these verses we are taught that the prosperity of our families depends upon the blessing of God - and the only way to obtain that blessing is to live in the fear of God and in obedience to Him.

Like all the songs of degrees, it has an eye to Zion and Jerusalem, which are both expressly mentioned, and it closes like Psalms 125, 130, and 131, with an allusion to Israel.
Blessed is every one who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways.
~ Ps. 128:1
Behold, thus shall the man be blessed who fears the Lord.
~ Ps. 128:4


The fear of God is the cornerstone of all blessedness. 
Spurgeon exhorts us to cultivate that holy fear of Jehovah which is the essence of all true religion; -- the fear of reverence, of dread to offend, of anxiety to please, and of entire submission and obedience.
This fear of the Lord is the fit fountain of holy living: we look in vain for holiness apart from it: none but those who fear the Lord will ever walk in his ways.   ~ Spurgeon
If the heart is joined unto God, the feet will follow hard after him.

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God blesses those who fear Him and walk in His ways
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord for His blessings in my life!
PRAYER: by Ruth Myers
     Dear Father, what a delight to know that as I focus on the Lord Jesus, You transform me into His image by Your Spirit within me.  You work in me that which is pleasing in Your eyes.  You strengthen my heart in every good work and every good word, so that more and more I honor Christ by the way I live. 
     Fairest Lord Jesus!  You alone are my heart's desire . . . my chief delight . . . my soul's glory, joy and crown.  Every advantage life can offer is like rubbish compared with the overwhelming gain of knowing You.  You are worthy Lord - worthy to be thanked and praised and worshipped and adored.  Amen and amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment