Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Psalm 119:41-48

WAW

Do you find yourself justifying wrong behavior saying, "Oh well, everybody else is doing it!"  Do you struggle with "situation ethics" - a system of ethics that evaluates acts in light of their situational context rather than by the application of moral absolutes.  

My Bible notes that the summary of this stanza in Psalm 119 is despite the mockery of worldlings the psalmist will commit himself to the value of Scriptures.  In verse 46, David boldly states:

I will speak of Your testimonies also before kings,
and will not be ashamed.
~ Ps. 119:46

"Let it be known to you, O king, that we do not serve your gods,
Nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up."
~ Dan. 3:17
Shadrach, Mesach, and Abed-Nego spoke boldly before King Nebuchadnezzar,
even at the risk of putting their own lives in peril.
Do you speak of God's testimonies boldly . . . before anybody?  I think this is especially difficult today because our culture balks at moral absolutes and absolute truth.  May we meditate on this verse today and apply it to our lives - and speak boldly of God's word & testimonies to our neighbors, our friends, our co-workers, our family members, or even strangers on the street!
And I will delight myself in Your commandments,
which I love.
~Ps. 119:47 
Regarding this verse, my Bible notes:
The delight of God's people is not in material things,
but in obedience to His commandments.
Love is more than an emotion; it includes obedience.

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is merciful
  • God is my salvation
  • God's word is trustworthy
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord that His mercies came to David of old . . . and they come to me today!
  • I bless the Lord for His salvation according to His word
PRAYER:  this is a beautiful prayer by Ruth Myers, guiding us to pray for our friends and family members who don't know Christ.  Fill in the blanks with the names of your loved ones:

     Lord, I bow humbly before You.  You are high and exalted and I am so small and so human, so limited by time and space.  You are holy and I fall so short of Your glorious ideals.  What amazing grace that You grant me access to You at all times, day and night!
     Show me afresh Your deep love for the world - Your yearning that people trust Christ and live with You forever in Your eternal family.  To think that my prayers can help fulfill Your longings!
     I desire to persevere in prayer day by day for my unsaved family members and friends, including especially _________, ___________, and ____________.  Give me grace to pray for them often, and to relate to them with greater love and helpfulness, and to tell them of Christ in winsome and timely ways.  Make them intensely aware of their need for forgiveness.  Convince them of Your love and draw them to Christ .  Do the same for my friends and more distant relatives who don't know You, including __________ and ___________. 
     It seems, Lord, that there are so many barriers that keep people from You.  Deliver those who think there are no absolutes, who believe that every viewpoint or lifestyle is okay as long as it seems right to them.  Turn people from modern philosophies and Eastern religious practices - and from pursing ideals of some sort, depending on their own efforts rather than on Christ.  Defeat Satan as he blinds them to their need of the Cross.  Open the eyes of thousands daily to the glorious light of the Good News of Christ.  May many trust You for forgiveness in our community, our region, and beyond.  In Jesus' name ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment