Saturday, May 14, 2011

Psalm 119:121-128

AYIN

 
In this stanza, David conveys his commitment to God's law and his expectation of God's deliverance.  Verses 121 - 128 are a just man's prayer against injustice.

 

 
Be surety for Your servant for good
~ Ps. 119:122
Other Bible translations say:
  • Ensure Your servant's well-being
  • Give Your servant a pledge of good
  • Take Your servant's interests into Your keeping
 Barnes notes: 
The prayer here is that God would, so to speak, mix or mingle His cause and that of the psalmist together, and that He would then protect the common cause as His own; or, that He would become a "pledge" or "surety" for the safety of the psalmist. This now, through the Mediator, we have a right to ask at the hand of God; and when God makes our cause His own, we must be safe.
Spurgeon notes: 
This is David's prayer in asking God to be his Surety:   Answer for me. Take up mine interests and weave them with Thine own, and stand for me. 
Christ is our Surety with God; and if He be so, Providence shall be our surety against the world.  ~ Matthew Henry
I am Your servant;
Give me understanding,
That I may know Your testimonies.
~ Ps. 119:125

May we all pray for this gift of understanding and discernment regarding God's testimonies!



Regarding verse 126, George Phillips makes this note:
It is not for us to prescribe the time and occasion for God to exercise His power, and to vindicate the authority of His own law; He does everything at the proper time, and He will at the proper season punish those who have made void His law, and who have become notorious for their impiety and wickedness.
 WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is my Surety and my salvation
  • God's word is righteous
  • God grants to me understanding to know Him
  • God acts in His time according to His plan & purposes
 HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord that He IS my Surety . . . and that He will deal with me according to His mercy
  • I praise God for the discernment and understanding He grants to me concerning His word
 PRAYER:
     My Heavenly Father, like David, I pray that You would be surety to me for good.  I pray that You would deal with me according to Your mercy, and teach me Your statutes.  Would you grant to me a lion's share of discernment and understanding, that I may know Your testimonies and learn of You.  May I desire Your commandments more than riches, and love Your precepts with my whole heart, resulting in obedient living to Your word.  In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment