Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Psalm 119:89-96

LAMED

Forever, O Lord,
Your word is settled in Heaven.
~ Ps. 119:89
A "word" is a revealed thought.  The Scriptures are the thoughts & purposes of God made intelligible to man.  My Bible makes this note:
God's word is one of the greatest certainties of life. 
His care for the world is evidence of His faithfulness.

Following the previous stanza that we read yesterday, which was a dark lament during a very low period of David's life, Charles Spurgeon makes this description:
After tossing about on a sea of trouble (previous stanza) the Psalmist here leaps to shore and stands upon a rock. Jehovah's word is not fickle nor uncertain; it is settled, determined, fixed, sure, immovable. Man's teachings change so often that there is never time for them to be settled; but the Lord's word is from of old the same, and will remain unchanged eternally.

In the former section David's soul fainted, but here the good man looks out of self and perceives that the Lord fainteth not, neither is weary, neither is there any failure in his word.
The Psalmist here tells us the prescription which soothed his pains and sustained his spirits. David found strong consolation in certain facts which he remembered to be TRUE:
The eternal existence of God
The immutability of His word.
The faithfulness of the fulfilment of that word.
The perpetuity of the word in nature.
      The perpetuity of the word in experience.
May we follow David's example when we are going through a difficult time - go back to what we KNOW to be TRUE!

You established the earth, and it abides;
They continue this day according to Your ordinances,
For all are Your servants.
~Ps. 119:90-91
Isn't that a wonderful verse upon which to meditate!!  God's ordinance is the reason for the continued existence of creation.  He holds the planets in their orbits, He keeps this earth spinning on its axis - He can certainly manage the events of my life !!!  If the very planets obey His voice, shouldn't I??

 Don't you love this verse:

I am Yours, save me;
for I have sought Your precepts.
~ Ps. 119:94
We are the Lord's by creation, election, redemption, surrender, and acceptance; and hence our firm hope and assured belief that He will save us.  ~ C. Spurgeon
Regarding verse 94, Matthew Henry also notes that "seeking God's precepts" will be the best evidence that we belong to God.   Have you ever heard the saying, "If you were charged with being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?"  A good point to ponder in our own lives.

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God's word is forever settled in Heaven
  • God's faithfulness endures to all generations
  • God established the earth - and all creation - and it abides according to His ordinances
  • God's precepts give me life
 HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord for the knowledge that His word is settled in Heaven - and that His faithfulness does endure to all generations.  This is a sure and firm foundation for my spiritual feet!
  • I praise the Lord that I am His . . . and that He will save me!
For I am His, and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ ~
~ Stuart Townend

PRAYER:

     Forever, O Lord, Your word is settled in Heaven.  Your faithfulness endures to all generations. . . from the days of King David all the way to me today.  How I praise You for the beauty of this truth, and that You have revealed Yourself to me.  May I never forget Your precepts, for through them You have given me life.  I am Yours, O Lord - thank You that You have saved me through the blood of Your Son, spilled for me, that I might have eternal life with You.  How I love You, O Lord !  In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen 






No comments:

Post a Comment