Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Psalm 119:97-104

MEM

How sweet are Your words to my taste,
Sweeter than honey to my mouth!
~ Ps. 119:103
In this stanza, David is teaching us that Scripture gives true wisdom.  In verse 100, he refers to the "ancients," implying that wisdom is not simply the product of experience, but is also the result of obedience.

I have restrained my feet
from every evil way
that I may keep Your word.
~ Ps. 119:101
The letter can make us knowing, but only the divine Spirit can make us wise.  Wisdom is knowledge put to practical use.  A holy life is the highest wisdom and surest defense
~ C. Spurgeon

A good man, wherever he goes, carries his Bible along with him, if not in his hands, yet in his head and in his heart.           ~ Matthew Henry

We see King David in those 2 quotes above, don't we?  A wise man, desiring to live a life of holy obedience, and a man who carried God's word in his head & his heart.  May we all aspire to live like that, loving God's law and meditating on it all the day!

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God's word makes me wise
  • God's word gives me understanding
  • God's word gives me discernment, helping me to determine every false & evil way

HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God for the gift of His word to us
  • I praise God that I live in America, where I am free to own a Bible and study God's word without fear of persecution
PRAYER:  by Ruth Myers
Dear Lord,
May I look intently into Your word day by day with a longing to know You better and do Your will at all times.  May the Spirit unfold its truth to me, may He motivate me to meditate on it and apply to my life. Make me diligent to hear and read it often, to make notes on it, to memorize it.  Empower me to trust You and obey all Your commands.  May Your word be the joy and rejoicing of my heart.  Amen and amen


 

No comments:

Post a Comment