Monday, May 16, 2011

Psalm 119:137-144

TSADDE

Because God's truth is upright and righteous, it is eternal.

Spurgeon reminds us that this passage deals with the perfect righteousness of Jehovah and His word, and expresses the struggles of a holy soul in reference to that righteousness. The initial letter with which every verse commences in the Hebrew is "P", and the keyword to us is PURITY.
Righteous are You, O Lord,
And upright are Your judgments.
Your testimonies, which You are commanded,
Are righteous and very faithful.
~ Ps. 119:137-138
Regarding these verses above, Matthew Henry notes:
The righteousness of God.  He rules the world by His providence, according to the principles of justice and never did, not ever can do, any wrong to any of His creatures. 

Emperor Maurice was the Roman Emperor from 582 - 602.  In 602, a dissatisfied general Phocas usurped the throne, having Maurice and his sons executed. When the deposed and captive Emperor Maurice was led out for execution by the usurper Phocas, his five sons were previously murdered one by one in his presence; and at each fatal blow Maurice patiently exclaimed,
"Righteous art thou, O Lord, and upright are thy judgments."
Could I react with that same faith in the face of such tragedy?
Remember the Ivory Soap advertising slogan:
99 44/100s percent pure - so pure it floats~!

  
Your word is very pure;
Therefore Your servant loves it.  ~ Ps. 119:140
King David's heart was knit to the Word of God because of its glorious holiness and truth. He admired it, delighted in it, sought to practice it, and longed to come under its purifying power.

Do I cherish God's word like David did? 


Trouble and anguish have overtaken me
Yet Your commandments are my delights.
~ Ps. 119:143

Verse 143 is a good application for introspection in our lives.  Where do I run when trouble & anguish overtake me?  And in what things do I most delight? 
Thomas Manton makes this note regarding verse 143:
Delight in moral things is the rule by which we may judge of men's goodness or badness. Men are good and bad as the objects of their delight are: they are good who delight in good things, and they are evil who delight in evil things.
WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is righteous, and His righteousness is an everlasting righteousness
  • His judgments are upright
  • God's testimonies are everlastingly righteous and very faithful
  • God's word is very pure
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord for His Word - for its purity, faithfulness and eternal righteousness
For the word of God is living and powerful
 and sharper than any two-edged sword,
piercing even to the division of soul and spirit,
and of joints and marrow,
and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
~ Heb. 4:12
PRAYER:
     Righteous are You, O Lord, and upright are Your judgments.  Your testimonies, which You have commanded, are righteous and very faithful.  Your Word is very pure - may I love it with the same zeal expressed by Your servant David. 
     Your Word has been described as pure, restraining, perfect, sure, truth, enduring, effectual, eternal, sanctifying, harmonious, inspired, living & active, and sharper than any two-edged sword.  May I search it, and embrace it in my life for restraint, my guide, my moral compass, and my source of joy.  How I bless You and praise You for Your word.  When trouble and anguish overtake me, I pray that Your commandments will be my delights.  The righteousness of Your testimonies is everlasting; would You be pleased to grant to me understanding of Your precepts.  I ask these things in Jesus' name ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment