Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Psalm 123

Plea for the Mercy of God

Biblical scholars believe this psalm was penned when the Israelites were held captive in Babylon for it was clearly penned when the church of God was brought low.  It is a prayer and plea for God's mercy.  Martin Luther states: 
This psalm is short, and therefore a very fit example to show the force of prayer not to consist in many words, but in fervency of spirit. 
It is well for us to pray about everything, and turn everything into prayer
~ Spurgeon

Regarding verse 1 and the phrase "Unto You, I lift up my eyes,"
The lifting up the eyes implies faith and confident persuasion that God is ready and willing to help us. The very lifting up of the bodily eyes towards heaven is an expression of this inward trust: so David in effect is saying, From Thee, Lord, I expect relief, and the fulfilling of Thy promises.   ~ T.  Manton
WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God dwells in the heavens
  • God has mercy on His children who look to Him
  • God is faithful to His promises
  • God delivers His children
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God for His mercy shown to His children
  • I praise God for His deliverance
PRAYER:
     Unto You I lift my eyes, O You who dwell in the heavens.  Have mercy on me, O Lord, have mercy on me!  Show Yourself and Your mercy to those I love.  How my heart blesses You for Your grace and mercy, and for the knowledge that my circumstances never escape Your gaze or Your arm of deliverance.    
     Thank You, O God, that like David I can expect You to fulfill Your promises.  May I trust You more and more.  In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen! 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment