Saturday, May 21, 2011

Psalm 119:169-176

TAU

 
We wrap up Psalm 119 today - wow!  The Psalmist is approaching the end of the psalm, and his petitions gather force and fervency.  David seems to break into the inner circle of divine fellowship, which leads him to close the psalm with a vow of praise, upon his face in deepest self humiliation, begging to be sought out like a lost sheep. 
Give me understanding according to Your word.
~ Ps. 119:169

 In this verse above, Spurgeon points out that this is the prayer about which the Psalmist is so exceedingly anxious.  We have seen David ask this of the Lord throughout this Psalm.  How often we make our petitions to the Lord, but do they ever include a prayer for understanding?  May we pattern our prayers in a like manner as King David, a man after God's own heart! 

To understand spiritual things is the gift of God
Consider what I say; and the Lord give you understanding in all things.
~ II Tim. 2:7

 
Spurgeon reminds us that to have a judgment enlightened by heavenly light and conformed to divine truth is a privilege which only grace can give. Many a man who is accounted wise after the manner of this world is a fool according to the word of the Lord. May we be among those happy children who shall all be taught of the Lord. 

Let Your hand become my help.
~ Ps. 119:173

Our sufficiency is not of ourselves, but of God; to will and to do are both from Him.
~ Spurgeon
WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God hears my cry
  • Understanding of God's word is a gift from Him
  • God is my Deliverer
  • All of God's commandments are righteousness
  • God is my help
  • God is my salvation
  • God's judgments help me
  • God seeks me like a lost sheep

HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:

  • I bless the Lord that He has opened my eyes and revealed Himself to me - as my Deliverer, my help, my salvation
  • I praise God that His commandments are righteousness
  • I bless God that He seeks me as His lost sheep
PRAYER:
     Let my cry come before You, O Lord.  Would You give to me understanding according to Your word - eyes to see, ears to hear, and a heart to understand.  Teach me of Your statutes, Father - for all Your commandments are righteousness. 
     Let Your hand become my help . . . may I not look to another.  May I choose Your precepts and YOUR way, not my own or one of sin.  I pray that Your law will become my delight - O Lord.  I pray that I will choose obedience to Your word, and put to death my flesh and my self-will.  You know, O God, that like David I have gone astray like a lost sheep.  Seek Your servant, and never let me wander far from You. 
     May I praise You all the days of my life!  In Jesus' name ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment