Monday, May 2, 2011

Psalm 119:25-32

DALETH

Once again we see in these verses David asking the Lord to "teach" him, to make him "understand the way of Your precepts."  Another good thought for us to offer up in prayer each day! 

Verse 29 is interesting:  Remove from me the way of lying.  This is a prayer we should all pray . . . probably every day!  The issue of honesty pervades every area of our lives.  Have you been 100% truthful every day of your life?  Of course not.  We see in these verses that David recognizes the folly of being untruthful and asks the Lord to help him overcome that sin.  Possibly David learned this brutally difficult lesson in the aftermath of his adulterous affair with Bathsheba -he was dishonest and deceitful, and it led to murder, death, and the ultimate destruction of his family. 

Remove from me the way of lying.
~Ps. 119:29
Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord,
But those who deal truthfully are His delight.
~ Prov. 12:22


A recent article in a successful national business journal quoted a number of executives as saying it was impossible to succeed in business today without compromising the truth.  May we, like David, ask the Lord to remove from us the way of lying, and each seek to live with honesty & integrity in every area of our lives.

If we are careful to be honest in the little things, we will certainly be careful to be honest in the more important things of life.  ~ Jerry Bridges 

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • The Lord will grant me understanding of His ways
  • The Lord will strengthen me according to His word
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord that He revives & strengthens me when my soul is "iheavy"
  • I praise the Lord when I meditate on His wonderful works
PRAYER: like David, Ruth Myers recognizes the beauty of God's statutes, precepts, testimonies & commandments - enjoy this beautiful prayer she penned:

      I glorify You for the Bible - that wonderful, written revelation of You and Your plan.
As snow and rain fall from the skies to meet our needs,
so You have condensed Your thoughts - which are vastly higher than all human thoughts - into written-down form. 
I'm so grateful that You cared enough to communicate with us in this clear, unchanging, always-accessible way,
so that Your thoughts are now available at all times to refresh and nourish and teach me . . .
and that You are still a communicating God, speaking these words to me as I am attentive to You,
as I read and meditate with a listening heart. 
What a privilege it is to store Your Word in my heart, where You can use it at any moment to bless me and guide me .  .  .
to keep me from sinning against You . . .
and to be a storehouse of inspired words that the Spirit can bring to my mind to help others.
     Thank You that in Your word I can see Your face and hear Your voice. 
I can discover Your will and Your patterns for living and serving. 
I can develop deeper faith and confidence. 
Thank You that the Holy Spirit inspired Your word and uses it to enlighten and guide me,
and to change me more and more into Your image, from one degree of glory to another. 
 ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment