Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Psalm 119:145-152

QOPH

 
Spurgeon offers an excellent summation of these verses:
This section is given up to memories of prayer. The Psalmist describes the time and the manner of his devotions, and pleads with God for deliverance from his troubles.
He who has been with God in the closet will find God with him in the furnace.
If we have cried we shall be answered. Delayed answers may drive us to importunity; but we need not fear the ultimate result since God's promises are not uncertain, but are founded for ever.   ~ Spurgeon

 
David prayed with his whole heart for God's deliverance, day and night, and found God near to him.

 

I cry out with my whole heart;
Hear me, O Lord!
I will keep Your statutes.
~ Ps. 119:145
David could not expect the Lord to hear him if he did not hear the Lord.    A good reminder to us . . .
David is determined to be holy, his whole heart goes with that resolve as well as with his prayers. He will keep God's statutes in his memory, in his affections, and in his actions. 
May we follow his example!

I rise before the dawning of the morning,
And cry for help;
I hope in Your word.
~ Ps 119:147
Spurgeon sums up David's cry to the Lord:
  1. Whence it came:   from the heart.
  2. Whither it went:   to the Lord.
  3. When it was heard:   at dawn and dark.
  4. What it sought:   hearing, salvation.
  5. What it promised:   obedience.
  6. How it was sustained:   by hope in God's word.
     
Virtue is truth in action, and this is what God commands. Sin is falsehood in action, and this is what God forbids ~ Spurgeon

 
You are near, O Lord,
And all Your commandments are truth.
~ Ps. 119:151
Isn't that a beautiful truth to meditate on?  That our God is NEAR . . . what comfort!
Concerning Your testimonies,
I have known of old that You have founded them forever.
~ Ps. 119:152
God's testimonies were "founded", that is, grounded, laid as foundations, settled and established.

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God hears me
  • God saves me
  • God's word is my hope
  • God's testimonies have been founded forever
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord that He hears me when I cry out to Him
  • I bless the Lord for my hope in His word
  • I praise God that He is near
  • I praise God that His commandments are truth and His testimonies have been founded forever
PRAYER: by F. B. Meyer
     Lord God Almighty, how shall I ever sufficiently thank You for adopting me into Your family and making me one of Your children?  You have taught me to know You, pray to You, and love You.  You are my shield and my great reward.  Bless me, and fill me evermore with the Spirit of Your Son.  Amen and amen!




No comments:

Post a Comment