In this section of Psalm 119, Charles Spurgeon notes that David takes firm hold of God Himself,
- appropriating Him (v. 57)
- crying out for Him (v. 58)
- returning to Him (v. 59)
- solacing himself in Him (v. 61-62)
- associating with His people (v. 63)
- sighing for personal experience of His goodness (v. 64)
"I would counsel every Christian to answer all temptations with this short saying,
'the Lord is my portion.'
~ Thomas Brooks
Thou art my portion, O LORD. God is all sufficient; get him for your "portion", and you have all.
~ John Mason, 1694
If God were their portion, they would love Him;
if they loved Him they would love His word;
if they loved His word they would live by it and make it the rule of their life.
~ William Cowper