Sunday, February 27, 2011

Psalm 59

PSALM 50

"Petition for Deliverance from Enemies"

Another Michtam of David, written during the time when Saul sent men to watch the house where David was hiding in order to kill him.

This psalm is of the same nature and scope with the previous seven psalms we’ve read – they are all filled with David’s complaints of the malice of his enemies and of their cursed & cruel designs against him, his prayers and prophecies against them, and his comfort and confidence in God as his God.  In this psalm, David prays to God to defend and deliver him from his enemies, and he foresees and foretells their destruction. 

A perfect example of David allowing God to be his Avenger is in the matter of King Saul.  The psalms we have been reading lately were penned by David when Saul was in pursuit of David’s life.  Even though David had been anointed as the future king of Israel by God Himself, David had not yet ascended to the throne.  King Saul, in his might and power as king, was seeking to kill David . . . as David, can you imagine a more terrifying position in which to find yourself! 
A cave at En Gedi

Yet, when David had an opportunity to personally kill Saul, to put an end to running for his life . . . he did not take it!  This story is told in I Samuel 24 – David and his men were hiding in the caves in the Wilderness of En Gedi from pursuit of Saul & his army.  Not knowing that David & his men were there, Saul went into a cave to relieve himself.  David’s men believed that God had delivered Saul into David’s hand, and David secretly cut off a corner of Saul’s robe.  However, David’s heart was troubled and he told his men that Saul was the Lord’s anointed and thus he would not harm Saul.

David later showed Saul the corner of the robe that he had cut off, telling Saul that he could have killed him but did not. 
King Saul and his mighty men
David did not take Saul's life when he had the opportunity - he allowed God to avenge his enemy Saul. 
Let the Lord judge between you and me and let the Lord avenge me on you.  But my hand shall not be against you.  ~ I Sam. 24:12
Saul eventually died by falling on his own sword after a mortal wound in a battle with the Philistines.

We see in verse 16 of Psalm 59 that David trusted God as his defense against his enemies:
I will sing of Your power;
Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning;
For You have been my defense
And refuge in the day of my trouble.  ~ Ps. 59:16

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is my Deliverer & Defender
  • God is my Protector
  • God is Ruler of the universe and over all the nations
  • God is my strength
  • God is my avenger
  • God is powerful and merciful
  • God is my refuge
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God for how safe I feel knowing He is able!

    PRAYER:
     O Lord, how marvelous You are!  How small I am!  Forgive me, Father, when my anxieties overwhelm me.  Forgive me when my trust is weak and my faith is small.  I know You are my deliverer & defender, my protector, my ruler, strength & avenger, my shield, my power, my refuge, and merciful to me!  To You, O my Strength, I will sing praises.  Bless You, Lord, that You are my God of mercy.  In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment