Sunday, February 20, 2011

Psalm 52

The Lord Shall Judge the Deceitful

This psalm is a contemplation of David at the time David was fleeing for his life from the pursuit of Saul.  David penned psalm 52 when Doeg the Edomite went and told Saul, “David has gone to the house of Ahimelech.”  I Sam. 22:9  As a result of this information, Saul killed the Lord's priests.  David is grieved over the loss of these men, and is recording his thoughts concerning Doeg’s deceit. 


The last verse of Psalm 52, “I wait on Your name, for it is good” reminds me of the verse in Proverbs:
The name of the Lord is a strong tower
The righteous run to it and are safe.  ~ Prov.  18:10
John Wesley says this regarding this verse:

The name of the Lord is the Lord, as He hath revealed Himself in His works, and in His word by His promises.
Clarke made this note:
John Gill said this:
The name of the Lord is a strong tower - The name of the Lord may be taken for the Lord Himself; He is a strong tower, a refuge, and place of complete safety, to all that trust in Him. What a strong fortress to the besieged! 

The name of the Lord is a strong tower,.... By "the name of the Lord" may be meant, either the attributes or perfections of God by which He is made known, and which are the strength and security of his people;
His goodness, grace, and mercy are their defense;
His favour encompasses them about as a shield;
His justice protects them from all injuries and insults;
His truth and faithfulness preserve them; they are kept by His power, as in a garrison
In verse 8, David likens himself to a 'green olive tree' - this indicates a life full of vitality and with prospects of many productive years. 
The Lord called your name
Green Olive Tree, Lovely and of Good Fruit. ~ Jer. 11:16
WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God’s goodness endures continually
  • God will destroy evil
  • God is my strength, and I can trust in His mercy forever
  • God’s name is good!
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God because His name is good
  • I praise God that His mercy endures continually.  Where would I be without the mercy of God?
PRAYER:
     O Lord, I will praise You forever!  Make me like a green olive tree in Your house.  Thank You that I can safely trust in You alone.  Thank You that You are a merciful God – and for Your mercies towards me and my family.  Would You be pleased to continue to bless us, O Lord?  May each member of my family ‘taste’ Your mercy in such a sweet way in their lives.
     Make I make You my strength, O Lord, and heed the words of David to never trust in the abundance of riches or anything of myself.  Like David, may I wait on Your name, O God, and live my life in dependence upon You.  In Jesus’ name I pray ~ Amen

In reflecting on Psalm 52, don’t you think David would have enjoyed this prayer by F.B. Meyer:
O Lord Jesus Christ, Captain of Salvation, who knows the hatred and working of evil against my soul, deliver me from the manifold temptations and trials that assail me, and make way of escape for me.  Give me Your mighty power, and help me to become more than a conqueror.  ~ F.B. Meyer, Daily Prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment