Saturday, February 19, 2011

Psalm 51


Confession and Forgiveness of Sin

Psalm 51 is a reference to a very sad story – that of King David’s fall.  Of his sexual sin with Bathsheba, the ‘cover up’ attempt with the murder of Bathsheba’s husband Uriah the Hittite, and then the conviction of David’s sin through Nathan the prophet. 

Psalm 51 serves as a reminder to every reader, to take heed lest he / she may fall!  This psalm is also a beautiful expression of remorse and repentance, and an example of humble contrition over sin.  Do you acknowledge your sin, or “excuse” it away? 

The whole life of believers is to be one of repentance!

What sin is:
In dealing with sin, it is important to know what sin in  I John 3:4 says, “ . . . sin is lawlessness.”  Put simply according to this verse, sin is anything that is contrary to what the Word of God commands or forbids. 
The best definition for sin is found in I John 5:17, “All unrighteousness is sin.” 

As sinners, we should meditate again and again on this psalm.  Matthew Henry describes it as the most eminent of the penitential psalms, and the most expressive of the cares & desires of a repenting sinner..  In Psalm 51, David:
  • Confesses his sin – v. 3-6
  • Prays earnestly for pardon of his sin – v. 1,27,9
  • Asks for peace of conscience – v. 8,12
  • Asks for grace to go and sin no more – v. 10,11,14
A beautiful example of repentance!

In verse 5, David makes this statement:
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me.
In this verse, David is referring to the sinful nature with which we are born – that the refusal to do right is an integral pat of human character from birth onward.  The sin problem is endemic to us from the first moment of our existence.

FOREVER WORTHY
                               ~ Ruth Harms Calkin

Dear God
I have sinned
Against Heaven
And against You.
I am no longer worthy
To be called Your child.

Child, I know . . . I know . . .
But My Son
Is forever worthy
To be called Your Savior.


My Bible makes this note:
An important prerequisite to walking in the Spirit is the confession of sin.  Sin must be confessed in order to restore fellowship and to continue receiving God's power.

Confession means that we agree with God about our sin.  This involves much more than simply acknowledging the sin - confession requires an attitude of sorrow for the sin and a willingness to turn from it.  It does not mean that we will never commit the same sin again, but it does mean that the attitude of repentance is present.
Psalm 51 is a beautiful example of Biblical repentance and confession of sin!

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is full of mercy & lovingkindness
  • God blots out my transgressions
  • It is God who washes me and cleanses me
  • It is against God that I have sinned
  • It is God who upholds me with His Spirit!
  • God desires a broken spirit
  • He is my Deliverer, and the God of my salvation
  • God is pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness

HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God that He is able to create in me a clean heart – wow!
  • I praise God that I am filled with His Holy Spirit
  • I praise God for the joy that is my salvation
  • I praise God that it is He who upholds me – I only have to rely on Him, the God of the Universe.  HE’S dependable, don’t you think!

PRAYER:
     O Lord!  How my heart is grieved over my sin!  My heart grieves that my sin caused the need for the death of Your Son Jesus Christ, yet my mind marvels at the wonder of the cross.  Thank You, dear Lord, for Your lovingkindness, Your mercy, Your righteousness, Your generous Spirit. 
     Father, my sin is always before me.  Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.  O Lord, may You never take Your Spirit from me.
     Thank You for the joy that is mine because of my salvation.  May I be always humble, and may You find pleasure in me.  In Jesus’ name I pray ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment