Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Psalm 34


PSALM 34


Yesterday in Psalm 33, verse 18 said that the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him.  In today's Psalm, the fear of the Lord is mentioned again in verse 9:
Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints!
There is no want to those who fear Him.  ~ Ps. 34:9
So what does that mean?  It sounds good, doesn't it?  And it's a command of the Lord . . . I don't see a question mark in that sentence.  So then - how do we do it - how do we "fear" the Lord?
 Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord.  ~ Ps. 34:11
There are actually 2 types of God-fearing mentioned in Scriptures.  One is the Hebrew word pachad, which indicates a terrified dread.  This is descriptive of the abject terror of an unrepentant sinner before the justice of God.  This is not the fear to which David is referring in the verses above.

The fear that David mentions in the Psalms is the Hebrew word yirah, which denotes piety and reverence rather than terror.  This fear is something virtuous, and involves these elements:
  • Reverence & awe.  We saw this in yesterday's Psalm 33:
Let all the earth fear the Lord, and let all the inhabitants of the world be in awe of him. ~ Ps. 33:8
  • Hatred of evil.
The fear of the Lord is to hate evil . ~ Prov. 8:13
  • Obedience to God
That he may learn to fear the Lord his God by carefully observing all the words of this law and these statutes.  ~ Deut. 17:19
Rosemarie Scott makes this note:
Love for God and holy fear are complementary.  If we love God we must reverence and worship His awesome Divinity.  The more we love Him, the more we will hate that which is contrary to God. 
 WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
A magnifying glass gives us a bigger view of things.
To magnify the Lord is to declare how GREAT He is!
Do I magnify Him in my deeds & thoughts?

Oh, magnify the Lord with me,
And let us exalt His name together. ~ Ps. 34:3
  • God is to be magnified & exalted
  • The Lord hears me & delivers me from all my fears
  • God's protection is all around me
  • There is no want in those who fear Him
  • Those who seek the Lord shall not want for any good thing
  • The Lord is good!
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I will bless the Lord at all times - may there never be a time that I don't have that heart attitude
  • I praise the Lord that He hears me and delivers me from all my fears
  • I praise the Lord that there is no want or lack to those who fear Him
  • How I bless God that His ears are open to the righteous
  • The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him.,
    and delivers them.
    Psalm 34:7
  • I praise the Lord that He is near to the brokenhearted - to those who are contrite and broken over their sin
PRAYER:
     Father, there is so much promise & assurance in this psalm of David!  I praise You that You have revealed Yourself to us in Your word - may You be pleased to continue to further reveal Yourself to me in all of Your glory & beauty.  May You find favor with me, O God.
     Lord, how I praise You for the safety that is found in You - that Your angel encamps all around those who fear You!  Keep Your angels around me & my family always, and hold us in the palm of Your hand.
     Father, what a sweet promise that those who seek You shall not lack any good thing.  O Lord, Your provision is so sufficient & gracious, and Your bounty is perfect.  Thank You for the wonderful majesty of Yourself.
     Lord, like David, I do desire life & love, many days that I may see good.   I bless You that my times are in Your hand, and I can never be snatched out of it.  Your unchanging nature is too wonderful for words, and eases my anxiety.  I love You, Lord!  I magnify You & exalt Your name ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment