Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Psalm 48

PSALM 48

"The Praise of Mt. Zion"


 Psalm 48 is another triumphant song.  Some believe it was penned after Jehoshaphat's victory, others believe it was used in celebration of the defeat of Sennacherib.
The joy of the whole earth is Mount Zion . . .   ~ Ps. 48:2
In Old Testament times, Mt. Zion was the area occupied by the temple, the place where the presence of God dwelt.  Mt. Zion also has figurative references throughout the Bible, referring to the nation of Israel as the people of God, to God's spiritual kingdom, and to Heaven.

I heard a comment on a TV drama medical show the other night - the doctor was telling his patient, "Every one dies alone."  He was telling her that we all must pass to death by ourselves, no one can accompany us.  I believe the psalmists would argue that point with that doctor - just like in Psalm 23, we see again in Psalm 48 that the Lord is with us, even in death.  What a sweet promise!
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me . . .  ~Ps. 23:
For this God, our God forever and ever, He will be our guide, even to death.             ~ Ps. 48:14
Matthew Henry records a beautiful summary of this Psalm: 
Let us triumph in God, and in the assurances we have in His everlasting loving-kindness.  Tell this to the generation following:  that this God, who has done such great things for us, is our God forever and ever.  If He be our God, He will be our guide - our faithful, constant guide.  He will be our guide beyond death; He will conduct us safely to a happiness on the other side of death, to a life in which there shall be no more death.
The name of God, Yahweh, in Hebrew

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • Great is the Lord!
  • The Lord is to be praised!
  • He will be my guide, even to death!
  • God’s right hand is full of righteousness!
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord for His righteousness
  • I praise the Lord that He is my God forever & ever, and that He will be my guide even to death.
PRAYER:
     Thank You, O Lord, that according to Your name so is Your praise!  Your name is to be magnified and exalted!
     I praise You, O God, that You are my God forever and ever and will be my guide even to death.  What sweet comfort that is, and a wonderful promise to claim.  What blessed security is found in You.  Forgive me, dear Lord, when my faith is so small!  You are worthy of all my faith and trust – Your faithfulness is unwavering and Your immutability is to be praised.  You know that I am dust; You know my frame is weak.
     I ask You to be my guide.  Go with me, O Lord.  May I not take one step without You leading me.  How encouraging to know that You will be my guide all the days of my life.
     I love You Lord, and make this prayer in the name of Jesus ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment