Thursday, February 10, 2011

Psalm 42

Seek After the Lord

 

 Have you ever been REALLY thirsty?  Truly parched, where ALL you can think about is water??  It's agony . . . it feels like every atom of your body is screaming.  A refreshing drink of cool water brings sweet relief !  You can hardly take it in fast enough.

This Psalm eloquently expresses the suffering the writer endured away from God and the temple.  He likens it to "spiritual" thirst . . . and as readers we can see the writer encouraging himself to trust in God. 
A well-known, beloved verse in this Psalm, with beautiful imagery
As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So pants my soul for You, O God! ~ Psalm 42:1
WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is LIVING - one of my favorite truths of this Psalm.  We worship a living God!
  • God is my ROCK
  • God’s countenance (favor / approval) is my help
  • God is kind and loving
  • God’s presence is with me at all times
  • God is my hope
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God that He is the LIVING God!
  • I praise God for the help of His countenance
  • I bless the Lord for His continual presence with me, and that He is my hope.  Even when I don’t “feel” it, the Lord is with me.
 PRAYER:
     Be, O Lord, the God of my life.  May I never seek another.  May You bring the refreshment of Yourself to my thirsty soul.  May I never find satisfaction in the things of this earth, which rust & moth destroy, but may I always find my treasures in Heaven
     Father, may You command Your lovingkindness over me in the daytime, and may Your song be with me at night.  I praise You, Lord, that You are always with me.
     I pray that You would give me and the members of my family a hunger & thirst for righteousness . . . that we would be filled and blessed. 
     In Jesus’ name I pray ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment