Monday, February 21, 2011

Psalm 53

PSALM 53

"A Portrait of the Godless"

Psalm 53 is a psalm of David - does this psalm sound familiar?  It is almost exactly the same as Psalm 14, except for verse 5.  The scope of this psalm is to convince the reader of his sinful nature. 

In verse 3, we are reminded again –
There is none who does good
No, not one.  ~ Ps. 53:3
Aside from divine grace, everyone is by nature and practice corrupt and sinful.  It is God who makes us spiritually alive – our “rebirth.”  Jesus refers to this in His conversation with Nicodemus in John 3:3
Except a man be born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God.  ~ John 3:3
God looks down from Heaven upon the children of men,
To see if there are any who understand, who seek God.  ~ Ps. 53:2
 WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God sees – He looks down from Heaven
  • It is God who is the Seeker - I am simply the responder to His inward call in me
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord that He is there – He IS God – He IS real!
  • I praise God that He sought me - that the salvation of Israel came and saved me.
PRAYER:
     Lord, I know that without Your call I would never seek You.  Thank You, Father, that You sought me and saved me! 
     I pray that my heart will always be sensitive to Your Holy Spirit . . . always sensitive to my sin.  May You look down upon me and find someone who desires to seek after You, all the days of my life.
     In Jesus’ name I pray ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment