Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Psalm 54

The Lord is Our Helper



Again, this is a psalm David penned when Saul was in pursuit of his life.  David is writing about the time the Ziphites betrayed him to Saul - they informed Saul where David was and set up a plot of how to seize him.  They actually did this twice. 

Like we saw in Psalm 52, in verse 1 once again David calls on the power of God's name
"Save me, O God, by your name . . . "  ~ Ps. 54:1
The Ziphites' betrayal of David to King Saul
“Is David not hiding with us . . .  our part shall be to deliver him into the king’s hand.”  ~ I Sam. 23:19-20

In this psalm, we can read of David’s confidence that God is on his side. 
“Behold, God is my helper.”  ~ Ps. 54:4
David also trusted God to be his avenger – not rendering evil to his enemies but allowing God to handle that. 
“He will repay my enemies for their evil." ~ Ps. 54:5 
WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God's will cannot be thwarted.  God had chosen David to be the future king of Israel - his life would not be taken by his enemies.  What God has deemed will come to pass can't be thwarted by the schemes of man.
    God is my Savior and my vindicator
  • God is my Helper
  • God is my Avenger
  • God’s name is good
  • God hears my prayers
  • My enemies are no match for God's might
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:

  • I praise the Lord that He is my Helper!
  • I praise the Lord that He hears my prayer
  • I praise the Lord that I can trust Him to be my avenger - I can leave my enemies to His hand and not need to exact my own revenge or vindication
PRAYER:

     O Lord!  Save me by Your name!  And vindicate me by Your strength.  Hear my prayer, O God, and give ear to the words of my mouth.
     Be my helper, O Lord.  May I never look to another.  I will praise Your name, O Lord, for it is good!  In Jesus’ name I pray ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment