Saturday, February 5, 2011

Psalm 37

Rest in the Lord

 

 

 
This collection of wise sayings in Psalm 37 is often compared to the book of Proverbs.  Its basic theme is to commend trust in God for everyday living in the face of wickedness & temptation because, despite temporary prosperity, the wicked must ultimately fail.

 
2 of my favorite verses are in Psalm 37:
Do not fret – it only causes harm. ~Ps. 37:8
Are you a worrier?  So why not fret?  Because GOD IS IN CONTROL!  Fretting takes our focus off of God and onto our circumstances . . . the events of which He is perfectly aware and able to manage!  There – feel better?  Another reason to not fret are the consequences we reap from this senseless activity - how often we try to take matters into our own hands, with dismal results!  May we commit this verse to memory and glean from the peace it brings!

  Verses 3-6 provide a four-part prescription for anxiety and envy:
Trust in the Lord and do good
Dwell in the land and feed on His faithfulness
Delight yourself in the Lord
Commit your way to the Lord

 Another one of my favorite verses is
We know that this verse is not a prescription to get God to give us whatever we want!  God is not a “great Genie in the sky” who will grant our wishes if we rub His lamp.  This verse is not part of a “name-it-and-claim-it” theology.  If you delight yourself in the Lord, He will become the desire of your heart, He is the one you long for, He is the reward you seek. What can be greater than the very presence of God?  As we saw back in Psalm 16:
 As we learn to delight ourselves in the Lord,  He will change our desires and give us His desires.  As we commit our way toward the Lord, He will bring us into His righteousness. The Lord can change what we love and hate so that we now love and hate what He loves and hates. 
In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. ~ Psalm 16:11

God is not a magic genie in a lamp!


WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God grants the desires of my heart ( but not always my heart’s desire)
  • God brings my way, committed to Him ,to pass
  • God laughs at the wicked
  • God upholds the righteous
  • God knows the days of the upright
  • God orders my steps
  • God is every merciful
  • God loves justice
  • God does not forsake His saints
  • God is my strength in times of trouble
 
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God that I DO NOT HAVE TO FRET!
  • I praise God for HIS TIMING, and that all the rewards of waiting on Him are great
  • I praise God that He upholds the righteous
  • I praise God that my inheritance with Him is forever
  • I praise God that He knows my days
  • I praise God that He is ever merciful, and is my helper!
 
PRAYER:
     Father, may I always trust in You, and  never misplace my trust to another person or a savings account or any other thing.  I praise You for the wondrous attributes You possess . . .may my mind be able to expand and envelope You as much as possible.
     I ask You, O Lord to bless me with that future of peace . . . that You would impart this to me and my family.  Would you free me from the sin of worry, and grant me the discipline of not fretting over my situation or circumstances.  In every trouble, may I rely on Your strength.  May I not seek comfort from an empty source.
   Order my steps, O Lord!  And delight in my way.  May I only follow the path You have for me.  May those in my family also follow in Your way for each of them.
     May I depart from evil and do good al the days of my life, and dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
    Help & deliver me, O Lord, according to Your mercy and lovingkindness.
     In Jesus’ name I pray ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment