Thursday, March 31, 2011

Psalm 90

Teach Us to Number our Days

Incredibly, this psalm was penned by Moses!  Bible scholars conclude that this psalm was probably penned upon the occasion of the sentence passed on Israel, where they were deemed to wander in the wilderness for 40 years for their unbelief, murmuring, and rebellion. 
It is believed Moses penned this prayer to be used daily by the people in their tents, and by the priests in the tabernacle service of worship in the wilderness.  

As Matthew Henry notes, the summary of Moses' prayer is this:
  • He comforts himself and the people with the eternity of God
  • He humbles himself and the people with consideration of the frailty of man
  • He submits himself and the people to the righteous sentence of God passed upon them
  • He submits himself and the people to God, praying for His divine mercy & grace and the return of His favor
Above all, Psalm 90 is a wonderful reminder of the frailty of human life: 
Lord, teach us to number our days
That we may gain a heart of wisdom. 
~Ps. 90:12

Let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us,
And establish the work of our hands.
~Ps. 90:17



My Bible makes this note concerning verse 17:

Just as God's work will endure, so His blessings on our works will cause them to endure.  Though our days are few, they can be lived in God and thus take on eternal significance.



WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
 
  • God is from everlasting to everlasting
  • God knows my secret sins
  • Ours is a God of compassion - He is full of mercy
  • The Lord will establish the work of our hands
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord that He IS from everlasting to everlasting - that He is God, and I am not.  That, because He is God, my small brain can't contain Him
  • I praise the Lord for His compassion & mercy - that even though His anger is for a moment, He will not turn His face away from His people forever
  • I bless God that this brief life on earth is not all there is - that I have eternal life through His Son Jesus Christ
PRAYER:
    Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.  O Lord, my heart rejoices over this truth - even though my small brain can't fully comprehend the eternal thought of it.
     I bless You that this frail, brief life is not all that You have planned for Your children - that some day we will see You face to face, that we shall behold You in all Your glory, and live forever with you in eternity.  How I praise You!
     Lord, I pray that You will establish the work of my hands - may I live for You all of my days.  In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen

The angels shall sound the shout of His coming,
The sleeping shall rise from their slumbering place.
And those who remain shall be changed in a moment,
And we shall behold Him then face to face.
     ~ Dottie Rambo 




No comments:

Post a Comment