Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Psalm 81

God’s Plea for Israel’s Obedience

You called in trouble, and I delivered you . . . ~ Ps. 81:6
Moses leading God's people out of Egypt

I am the Lord Your God,
Who brought you out of the land of Egypt.  ~Ps. 81:10

King David introduced the singing of psalms into the temple service.  This psalm was intended for that purpose.  The two great intentions of religious assemblies are answered in this psalm:
  1. to give God glory
  2. to receive instruction from God
This psalm
  1. praises God for what He is to His people
  2. Teaches and admonishes one another concerning our obligations to God
  3. Reminds us of the benefits we enjoy if we keep close to God
In verses 8-16, God speaks to His people through the psalmist.  His message is six-fold:
  1. He demands their diligent and serious attention
  2. He reminds them that He is their God & Redeemer
  3. He reminds them of His precepts & promises
  4. He charges them with high contempt of His authority
  5. He justifies the spiritual judgments He had brought upon them
  6. He testifies of His goodwill to them
It is sin that makes the Israelites’ troubles long and their salvation slow!

I love this hymn by Cecil Frances Alexander:
Jesus Callls Us
Jesus call us o’er the tumult
Of our life’s wild, restless sea –
Day by day, His clear voice soundeth saying,
“Christian, follow Me!”

Jesus calls us, by Thy mercies
Savior, may we hear Thy call –
Give our hearts to Thine obedience,
Serve and love Thee best of all.
                                                                     ~ Cecil Frances Alexander

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is my strength
  • God is the deliverer of His people
  • God is faithful
  • God will punish my sin / disobedience
  • God is my provider
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God that He is long-suffering
  • I praise God for His kind provision
  • I praise the Lord that the same faithfulness He showed to the Israelites He will show to me!
 PRAYER:
    Dear Lord, O that I would listen to You and walk in Your ways!  I find myself too often like Paul – I do the things I shouldn’t do, and don’t do the things I should!  Over and over again.  I bless You for Your long-suffering with me, Father, and desire to walk with You, faithfully observing Your precepts and obeying Your commands.  You know I am as dust . . . bear me up in my weakness!  May I love You more than my sin . . . may I give my heart to Thine obedience . . . serve and love Thee best of all!  In Jesus’ name ~ Amen
    

No comments:

Post a Comment