Friday, March 4, 2011

Psalm 64

A Prayer for God’s Protection

This entire psalm is in reference to David’s enemies – those who are persecuting him and slandering his name.  He prays to God for His protection, for the Lord to preserve him for their malicious schemes against him.  He also foretells of their destruction. 

Once again, the psalm opens with David begging the Lord to protect him and preserve his life from his enemies.  These enemies are described as military men, and their tongues are their swords.  The tongue is a little member, but like the sword, is a dangerous weapon.  Bitter words are their weapons – and the upright man, God’s man, is their target. 
But the tongue no man can tame;
it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. ~James 3:8
The tongue is a fire . . . and it is set
on fire by hell.  ~ Jas. 2:6
Consider this psalm carefully - how well do you bridle your own tongue ?  Do you weild your tongue as a sword, using it to slash others? 

Like David, have you felt the stab of hurtful words, perhaps by people you considered your friends? 

In describing his enemies' schemes against him, David says in verse 6:
Both the inward thought and the heart of man are deep.  ~ Ps. 64:6
In fallen humanity, the inward thought and the heart represent inner motives that lean toward evil activities.  The prophet Jeremiah described this condition:  
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked.  ~ Jer. 17:9
WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God hears my voice
  • God is my protector
  • The judgments of God are just
  • God hates sin
  • My gladness is in the Lord
  • God is trustworthy
  • God's plan will not be thwarted
 HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord that He - the God of this universe - hears my voice!  Even though we have seen this truth in previous psalms, it is still remarkable to consider this every time! 
  • I praise the Lord for His protection
  • I praise God that His judgments are perfect
  • I praise the Lord for the gladness I have in Him, and that He is trustworthy
  • I praise God that He is a just God . . . that the scales of justice will be balanced in His Heavenly court
  • I praise God that the schemes of man cannot thwart His plans.  This is another truth that we have considered before in previous psalms . . . that no matter how many enemies pursue David with countless schemes & weapons, they cannot thwart God's plan for David to be His anointed king over Israel.

No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
For I am His, and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.
In Christ Alone
Stewart Townend & Keith Getty

 PRAYER:
     Hear my voice, O God!  Give ear to my prayer . . . how my heart praises You that I can come before You in prayer and You do hear.  O Lord, You are so big . . . and I am so small, and yet, I have an audience with You.  My heart blesses You for this wonderful privilege.
     Thank You, Father, that I am Yours and You are mine - that I am bought with the precious blood of Christ!  In whose name I pray ~ Amen
    
    

1 comment:

  1. hey girl!! just wanted you to know i have an award for you. come check it out.
    http://lifeonlyford.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete