Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Psalm 76

The Glorious Might of God

This psalm also seems to have been penned upon the occasion of some great victory.   My Bible notes that verses 5 & 6 may refer to the defeat of the Assyrian army as described  in II Kings 19. 

In Judah God is known;
His name is great in Israel.  ~ Ps. 76:1

As we read verse 1 of this Psalm, I am actually in Israel!  An incredible experience to get to see the Holy Land and the actual places we are reading about in these Psalms.  The Bible truly "comes to life" when one sees the actual places on earth where some of these events took place.

Give to God our "gifts" of prayer, praise & our hearts
Make vows to the Lord your God and pay them.  Let all who are around Him bring presents to Him . . Ps. 76:11 
Matthew Henry comments about verse 11:
Take an oath of allegiance to God and make conscience of keeping it.  And, having taken Him for our King, let us bring 'presents' to Him.  Not that God needs any present we can bring but prayers, praises, and especially our HEARTS are the present we should bring to the Lord our God. 
WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is more glorious and excellent than the mountains
  • God is to be feared
  • God will deliver all the oppressed of the earth
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God for His glorious might
  • I praise the Lord for His glory & excellence
  • I praise the Lord that He is a righteous Judge
PRAYER:
      O Lord, Your name is great all over the earth!  Thank You that You are the God of the universe, the mighty God, the Holy One of Israel.  Thank You that Your Son came to this earth in the likeness of men and was obedient unto death so that I might live.  Please accept my prayers, my praise, and my heart as my gifts to You, O Lord!  May I hold nothing back from You.
     In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment