Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Psalm 62

Wait for God


In this psalm, we can sense David’s pleasure as he writes of his confidence in God and his dependence upon Him.  He is encouraging others to trust in God likewise.

In verses 3  & 4, David is once again referring to his enemies.  Envy was at the bottom of their malice; they were jealous of David’s advancement and plotted by diminishing his character and reputation throughout the land. 
They delight in lies,
They bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly.  ~ Ps. 62:4
David is lamenting how people will compliment him to his face, but defile him behind his back, hoping to ruin him. 

Something for us all to consider – are we two-faced to others?  Nice to their face, yet ugly behind their backs?  May we recognize this in ourselves and turn from it.

Surely men of low degree are a vapor,
Men of high degree are a lie:
If they are weighed on the scales,
They are altogether lighter than vapor.   ~ Ps. 62:9

 This isn’t the first time we have seen David compare the brevity of human life to a vapor – something that is here and quickly vanishes.  David has learned that God alone is trustworthy – men, whether of low or high degree, are of no consequence. 

If riches increase, do not set your heart on them.  ~ Ps. 62:9-10
 Even riches offer vain hope – if riches increase, use them for good.

God has spoken once; twice I have heard this:
That power belongs to God.  ~ Ps. 62

"plug" into God for your Power source



WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is my rock and my salvation
  • Because God is my defense, I can stand firm.  In the words of Matthew Henry: “I may be shocked but I shall not be sunk.
  • My expectation is from God
  • In God is my salvation, my glory, my refuge
  • Power and mercy belong to God
  • God will render to each one according to his works
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord for all of the words of encouragement in this Psalm – that my salvation comes from Him, and that I don’t have to depend upon man
  • I praise God that all power & mercy belong to Him . . . He is my source of power.  I don't have to "find" this within myself or my abilities, or riches.
PRAYER:
     O Lord, You are my rock and my salvation.  You are my defense and my refuge.   May I, like David, trust You at all times.  I pour out my heart before You.  You know me to the depths of my soul - my insecurities, my anxieties, my fears . . . when I am small and weak, I pray that You will be the rock of my strength. 
     May I not set my heart on riches or any vain thing on this earth.  I praise You for Your power and Your mercy -  both upon which I am utterly and totally dependent.  Thank You that You made me Your child - In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen

God, How can I Describe You? 
                                                                                              ~ Ruth Harms Calkin
O God
How can I describe You?
To whom can You be compared?
Your Word says
No one in all the world
Can begin to fathom
The depth of Your understanding.
You sit above the circles of the earth.
You stretched out the heavens like a curtain.
You count the stars
To see that none of them have strayed.
You pick up the islands
As they they had no weight at all.
So why should I grapple 
With a single lingering doubt
That You are powerful enough to hold me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment