Thursday, March 17, 2011

Psalm 77

When Overwhelmed, Remember God’s Greatness

A memorial is something established to commemorate an event or a truth.  In the Old Testament, God continually told His people to erect physical, visible memorials to commemorate His acts on behalf of His people.  Our memories are frail – when we are experiencing life’s trials, we tend to believe that God is far away.  His memorials were established so that the Israelites and the generations after would remember the power of God demonstrated to His people. 
 
When your children ask in time to come, saying, ‘What do these stones mean to you?’
Then you shall answer them that the waters of the Jordan were cut off before the ark of the covenant of the Lord;
When it passed over the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off.
And these stones shall be for a memorial to the children of Israel forever.  ~ Josh. 4:6-7
 In this psalm of Asaph, the psalmist is clearly undergoing a great difficulty.  For his solace and comfort, he is reminding himself of God’s past mighty works on behalf of His people. 
I will remember the works of the Lord;
Surely I will remember Your wonders of old,
I will also mediate on all Your work.  ~ Ps. 77:11
  
Your way was in the sea,
Your path in the great waters,
And Your footsteps were not known.  ~ Ps. 77:19
God’s saving Presence was in the Exodus deliverance.
my soul refused to be comforted” – the wording of this psalm suggests the ordeal he is writing about was a long one.  These words about ‘refusing to be comforted’ indicate commendable persistence until God intervenes to resolve the problem. 

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God hears my voice!
  • The Lord is there in my day of trouble
  • The Lord IS faithful – to generations past, to generations future, and to ME!
  • The works of the Lord are mighty to save
  • Nature obeys the voice of the Lord
  • The Lord leads His people like a flock
 HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God for His Word – that I can read & learn of His faithfulness to His people – thus, I can “remember the days of old” and know that God will be faithful to me too!
  • I praise the Lord that He hears my voice – the God of the Universe attends to my prayer!
  • I praise the Lord for the works of His hand – for His deliverance of His people throughout history.
  • I praise the Lord that I am one of His flock
 PRAYER:
     O Lord, my heart blesses You today as I “consider Your works of old.”  My heart praises You for Your faithfulness, for Your deliverance of Your people.  Thank You for Your word, where I can read and learn of You.  May Your Holy Spirit keeps Your truths fresh in my memory, especially when life’s trials come.
     Thank You, Lord, that You are the Great Shepherd – that You lead Your people like a flock.  Thank You that, through Your Son, You made me a member of that fold. May I learn to trust the Shepherd more and more each day.  In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen

Let me not dwell on the past, my Father, as though it held the best.  May I dare to believe the best is yet to be, and that though You are filling my life with the rain of tears, every one of them will one day yield the wine of joy. ~ F.B. Meyer, Daily Prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment