The Perspective of Eternity
We start "Book Three" of the Psalms today - Psalms 73-83 are psalms of Asaph, who was one of David's chief musicians.
Truly God is good . . . ~ Ps. 73:1My Bible notes that this is a proverbial saying - the truth of it seemed to be contradicted by the experiences of the psalmist. Based on what he saw, he questioned God's love and justice. So severe was this struggle that the psalmist almost stumbled.
|I was envious of the boastful|
When I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
~ Ps. 73:3
|Nevertheless I am continually with You;|
You hold me by my right hand. ~ Ps. 73:23
WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
- God IS truly good
- God is not fooled by wicked ones and their seeming prosperity
- God will hold me by my right hand - I am continually with Him
- God will guide me with His counsel
- God will receive me to glory
- God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever
- God is trustworthy
- I praise the Lord that He sees the whole picture! Most of the time my view is only partial and dim, like looking through a parade through a peephole in a fence. The Lord sees the entire parade from beginning to end!
- I praise God that He IS truly good!
- I praise God that He is my portion forever - what peace is found in that truth
O Lord, forgive me for the times that I, like this psalmist, am foolish & ignorant and am besieged with doubts. When I am in despair at those times, may Your Holy Spirit bring to the forefront of my mind & heart that I am continually with You. I have put my trust in You. Be pleased to hold me by my hand, guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. May I desire none upon the earth besides You. In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen