Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Psalm 88

Crying from Deepest Affliction

Psalm 88 is known as a contemplation of Heman the Ezrahite, a leader of the guild of Korah.  This psalm is generally recognized as the saddest of the entire book of psalms.  It does not conclude, as usually the melancholy psalms do, with any kind of comfort, joy, or praise.  Rather, from first to last, it is mourning and woe. 
In the morning my prayer comes before You.  ~ Ps. 88:13
Sunrise on the Sea of Galilee

The implied answer to the questions in verses 10 - 12 is no; however, we know that other passages in the Old Testament as well as the New Testament doctrine of the resurrection show that the redeemed will praise God after death.

Ten to One
                                     ~ Ruth Harms Calkin

Lord, I ask more questions
Than You ask.
The ratio, I would suppose,
Is ten to one.

I ask:
Why do You permit this anguish?
How long can I endure it?
What possible purpose does it serve?
Have You forgotten to be gracious?
Have I wearied You?
Have I offended You?
Have You cast me off?
Where did I miss Your guidance?
When did I lose the way??
Do You see my utter despair?

You ask:
Are you trusting Me?

When we are in times of despair & difficulty, in trials & tribulation, may we remember this question in Ruth Harms Calkins' prayer-poem above:  What is its purpose? 

Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you. . . but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ's sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.  ~ I Peter 4:12

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • In our times of trial, God is our hope
  • God allows difficulties in our lives - we will experience tribulation on this earth
  • God is my salvation
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord that He is my salvation, even in the fiercest of trials. 
  • I praise God that I call cry out to Him daily
PRAYER:
     O Lord, I praise You that You are the God of my salvation, that my hope rests in You.  May I trust You in times of trial, may I seek the purposes You have in permitting them in my life.  May I rest in You in those times.  As I pray in the words of the psalmist - let my prayer come before You; incline Your ear to my cry.    ~ Amen






No comments:

Post a Comment