Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Psalm 61

A Prayer When Overwhelmed

In this psalm as in many others, David begins with tears and ends with praise.  Some Bible scholars believe David penned this psalm when he had been driven out & banished, either by Saul or by Absalom.

This verse describes a place of safety in God's care above earthly turmoil.
How often, in this crazy life, do we feel overwhelmed in our circumstances?  Today, take a deep breath and really meditate on this psalm.  May its words be soothing and bring rest to our souls!

I love singing this song below in church . . . it has a beautiful melody, and is a beautiful reminder of what David tells us in Psalm 61- God hears my cry!

A Hymn

My Rock and peaceful pleasure
My quiet resting place ~
Your Presence is my shelter
Safe on the toilsome way
The God of Mercy hears my cry,
The God of Mercy hears my cry!

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God attends my prayer - God gives ear to me.  God will hear my cry
  • God is my shelter and strong tower
  • I will abide with God forever
 HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God for all the things I know about Him through this Psalm - that He attends my prayer, hears my cry, is my shelter and strong tower, and that I may trust in Him. 
  • I praise God that I will abide with Him forever
PRAYER:
     Thank You, Father, that You hear my cry today as You did for David in days of old.  When my heart is overwhelmed within me, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.  Be a shelter for me, O God - a strong tower from the turmoil & cares of this world.  Shelter me under Your wings . . . when I am fearful and anxious, may I trust in Your provision and protection.
     I will sing praise to Your name forever.  In Jesus' name ~ Amen

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend looking for this song. Do you know the source or the author of it?

    ReplyDelete