Saturday, March 26, 2011

Psalm 85

Prayer for Revival

What a perfect illustration of this wonderful concept!
Interpreters generally hold the opinion that this psalm was penned after the return of the Jews out of their captivity in Babylon, when they still remained under some tokens of God’s displeasure. 

In verses 1-7, the people of God – in a very low and weak condition – are taught how to address themselves to God.
  • They are to acknowledge with thankfulness the great things God had done for them
  • They are taught to pray to God for grace and mercy
  • They are taught to express with humility their laments to God regarding their present distress
In verses 8-13, we see the answer to the prayers:
  • Generally, God sends His peace
  • God’s blessings of prosperity when His children gain a settlement again in their own land.
  • God’s help at hand
  • The return of God’s favor – when a people return to God, he will return to them and abide with them in a way of mercy
  • God’s plenteous provision
  • God’s guidance in the sure way
 
Revive us again;
Fill each heart with Thy love;
May each soul be rekindled
With fire from above.
Hallelujah! Thine the glory.
Hallelujah! Amen.
Hallelujah! Thine the glory.
Revive us again.
                                            ~  William Mackay

Righteousness shall go before Him, and shall make His footsteps our pathway.  ~ Ps. 85:13
 Matthew Henry makes this comment:
Surely God's salvation is nigh, whatever our difficulties and distresses are.  For His sake, all good things, especially His Holy Spirit, are given to those who ask Him.

Through Christ, the pardoned sinner becomes fruitful in good works, and by looking to and trusting in the Saviour's righteousness, finds his feet set in the way of His steps. 

Righteousness is a sure guide, both in meeting God and in following Him.

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is a God of restoration
  • God is favorable towards His people
  • God chastises His own
  • Salvation is near to those who fear God
  • God is merciful
  • The Lord will give what is good
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
·         I praise the Lord that He has made a way for me to be restored in fellowship to Him - through His Son Jesus Christ
·         I praise the Lord that He has forgiven my sin, and that the blood of Christ has covered my iniquity
·         I bless the Lord that He will give what is good

PRAYER:
          How I pray for spiritual revival, O Lord - in my own country, and in my own heart.  Thank You, Father, that You have covered all my sin with the precious blood of Christ, and that You have forgiven my iniquities for they are many. 
          Give me ears to hear Your voice, and may I walk in righteousness all the days of my life.  In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment