Saturday, April 30, 2011

Psalm 119:9-16

BETH

How can a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word.
~ Ps. 119:9
There are several verses in Psalm 119 where I have penned my sons' names in the margins.  These are verses that I pray over my sons, and Psalm 119:9 is one of them.  May we all take heed according to God's word!

My Bible notes:
God's Word Cleanses
One of the pieces of furniture in the OT tabernacle was called the bronze laver.It consisted of a huge upright bronze bowl filled with water, resting upon a pedestal.  The priests would stop at this laver and wash. 

The Word of God may be thought of in terms of that laver, for it too has the power to cleanse.  The OT laver could only remove the physical dirt from human hands, but the Scripture possesses the ability to take away our moral filth.  What areas of my life can the Bible cleanse?
  • Wrong thoughts:  "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it.  For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success."  Josh. 1:8
  • Wrong words:  "My tongue shall speak of Your word, for all Your commandments are righteousness."  ~ Ps. 119:172
  •  Wrong actions"Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You."  ~ Ps. 119:11

With my whole heart I have sought You,
O let me know wander from Your commandments!
~ Ps. 119:10
A good verse to pray each day!

Blessed are You, O Lord!
Teach me Your statutes.
~ Ps. 119:12

In this, David gives glory to God and asks grace from God:  give me to know and do my duty in everything. 
~ Matthew Henry
WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God wants me to know His ways
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  •  I praise God for the treasure of His word
PRAYER:
     O Lord, I pray that I would seek You with my whole heart; I desire to walk in Your ways - oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!  I thank You for the gift of Your word, and pray that I would hide it in my heart that I might not sin against You. 
    Blessed are You, O Lord!  I pray that You will teach me Your statutes, that Your Holy Spirit would grant to me great understanding of Your word.  Give me the discipline to obey that which I do understand, and wisdom to grasp those passages that are more difficult.
     I pray that You would keep Your word ever before me, that I might keep my way clean in my thoughts, actions and words.  In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment