Monday, April 18, 2011

Psalm 108

Awake Early and Praise the Lord

Awake,  lute and harp!
I will awaken the dawn,
I will praise you, O Lord, among the peoples.
~ Ps. 108:2-3

Sunrise on the Sea of Galilee
How do you begin your day each day?  I have heard my Sunday school teacher give this great counsel:   when you awaken each morning, before your feet hit the floor, give your first thought to God.  A great way to start the day, and with the proper mindset!

Psalm 108 is a psalm of David - does it sound familiar?  Verses 1-5 are nearly identical with verses we read in Psalm 57, and verses 6-13 with Psalm 60.  Psalm 108 begins with praise and ends with prayer, and faith is at work in both.  

May we read & study Psalm 108, and learn to praise God by some who is a master of this art - David!  Matthew Henry summarizes what we need to learn & observe from Psalm 108 regarding praise:
  • We must praise God with fixedness of heart - wandering, straggling thoughts must be gathered in and our focus set
  • We must praise God with free expression -  what talents has God gifted you with?  King David was a gifted musician, and he praised God greatly with this ability.  Use the talents at which you excel to bring glory & praise to God
  • We must praise God with affection, and not carelessly
  • We must praise God publicly, as those that are not ashamed to own & show our obligations to Him
  • Our praise must magnify the mercy & truth of God
Regarding verses 12 -13, Henry makes a notable comment:
We must do our part, but we can do nothing of ourselves;
 it is only through God that we shall do valiantly.

Give us help from trouble,
for the help of man is useless.
Through God we will do valiantly.
~ Ps. 108:13
WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is worthy of my praise
  • God's mercy is great, and His truth is high
  • God's glory is above all the earth
  • God saves with His right hand
  • God hears my prayer
  • God is holy
  • God is our hope and our help - we can do nothing of ourselves

 HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord for His mercy, truth, glory and greatness
  • I praise the Lord that He hears my prayer
  • I praise the Lord for His help in my time of trouble, and that through Him I can do valiantly
PRAYER:
 
     O Lord, I pray that my heart will be kept steadfast in my faith & trust in You.  May I never look to any other, but keep my focus only on the Lord.  May my ear be keen to Your voice all the days of my life. 
     I pray that You will walk with me each day, that I would awaken and praise You each morning of my life.  How often I am beset by the busyness of  my own making, and often put thoughts of You last instead of first.  I bless You that Your mercy is great above the heavens, and that Your truth reaches the clouds.  Far beyond my comprehension.  I bless You for Your ways that I don't understand - that You are big, and I am small. 
     O Lord, on this day of the Holy Week over 2,000 years ago, Judas bargained with the Jewish rulers to betray Jesus.  I know that, in my sin, I betray You each day.  How I bless You that, by the end of this blessed week in history, Your work of salvation for Your people was complete.  You had paid the price for my sins, and secured my salvation by the death of Your precious Son.      
     Be exalted, O God, above the heavens . . . and in my life.  In Christ's name I pray ~ Amen
    

No comments:

Post a Comment