Friday, April 8, 2011

Psalm 98

Sign a New Song to the Lord

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song
For He has done marvelous things!
~ Ps. 98:1
God's character is shown in what He does for His people.  Verses 2 & 3 are perhaps a reference to the restoration of the Israelites from Babylonian captivity.

Matthew Henry notes that this psalm is written with the same purpose as the two previous - it is a prophecy of the kingdom of the Messiah - the establishment of it, and the bringing of the Gentiles into it.  In sets forth
  1. 
    Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth;
    Break forth in song, rejoice, and sing praises.
    ~ Ps. 98:4
    
    The glory of the Redeemer, verses 1-3

  2.  The joy of the redeemed, verses 4-9
In verses 7 & 8, the scene seems to shift to the end times.  It appears that nature is invited to join in the praise, celebrating God's ultimate victory.  This concept is mentioned again in Romans 8:
Creation itself will also be delivered from the bondage of corruption
into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 
~ Rom. 8:21



Sing to the Lord with the harp,
with the harp and the sound of a psalm.
~ Ps. 98:5
King David was an accomplished musician on the lyre (harp)
Shout to the Lord, all the earth let us sing,
Power and majesty, praise to our King!
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name ~
I sing for joy at the work of Your hands
Forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You.
    ~ Chris Tomlin




WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • He has done marvelous things for His people
  • The Lord has made known His salvation
  • The Lord remembers His mercy & faithfulness to His children
  • The Lord is coming to judge the earth in righteousness and justice
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord for the marvelous things He has done for His people . . . and for me!
  • I praise the Lord that He has made His salvation known to the ends of the earth . . . and to me!
  • I praise the Lord that He remembers His mercy & faithfulness to His people . . . and to me!
PRAYER:
     O Lord, my heart sings a new song of praise to You!  How I bless You that You remember Your mercy & faithfulness to Your children, and that You have made me Your child.  How I bless You for the marvelous things You've done . . . from the deliverance of the children of Israel to the works of kindness You perform in my own life.  My heart breaks forth in song, rejoicing, and praises to You.  Hear my prayer and accept my praise, O Lord - may it be a sweet sweet sound in Your ear.  In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment