Monday, April 25, 2011

Psalm 115

To God Alone be the Glory

The title of this psalm reminds me of this famous song by Andrae Crouch.  It was sung at Dave's & my wedding by Charles Heinz.

My Tribute
         ~ Andrae Crouch
How can I say thanks
for the things You have done for me?
Things so undeserved,
yet You gave to prove Your love for me;
the voices of a million angels
could not express my gratitude.
All that I am and ever hope to be,
I owe it all to Thee.
To God be the glory,
to God be the glory,
to God be the glory
for the things He has done
With His blood He has saved me,
with His power He has raised me;
to God be the glory
for the things He has done.

Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us,
But to Your name give glory.
                                   ~ Ps. 115:1
In Psalm 115, we are reminded by the psalmist to give glory to God and not ourselves nor to idols.

Come lift your voice
to Heaven's high throne
And glory give
To God alone!
~ James Boice

Our God is in heaven,
He does whatever pleases Him.
~ Ps. 115:3



Do you ask where He is?  He is at the beginning and end of everything, and not far from any of us
~ Matthew Henry







This psalm mentions idols and the futility of trusting in them.  Do you see yourself in these verses?  Where do you place your trust, other than in the God of Heaven?  Money?  IRA?  Relationships?  Children?  Status?  Job?  Ask God to show you "idols" in your life today.

They have hands, but they do not handle;
Feet they have, but they do not walk;
Nor do they mutter through their throat.
Those who made them are like them,
So is everyone who trusts in them.
~ Ps. 115:7-8





Regarding verses 7 & 8, my Bible notes:

To trust in an idol is to become like it - powerless and false!










As a mother, verse 14 is near & dear to my heart:
May the Lord give you increase more and more,
You and your children.
~ Ps. 115:14

Regarding this, Spurgeon makes this note:
Let parents seek more grace for themselves for the sake of their children.
(a) That the children may be more influenced by their example
(b) That the parents' prayers may be more prevalent on their children's behalf
(c) That their children may be more blessed for their sakes

They who do not praise God here will not praise Him hereafter; they who praise God in this life will praise Him forever more.  ~ C.H. Spurgeon

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is due glory, because of His mercy and truth
  • God is in Heaven - He has not moved!
  • God does whatever pleases Him
  • God is our help and shield
  • The Lord is mindful of us
  • The Lord will bless all who fear Him, both great and small
  • The heavens are the Lord's
 HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS  PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord that He is mindful of someone as wicked as I; that I will be blessed by Him
  • I praise the Lord that I can trust my children to His care
PRAYER:
     To Your name I give glory, O God Most High, because of Your mercy, because of Your truth.  I bless You that You are in Heaven, on Your throne, immovable.  No matter the circumstances here on earth, You remain on Your throne, ever-mindful of Your children. 
     How my heart praises You that You are mindful of me . . . how I rejoice that You have made me Your child, and for the blessings You have bestowed on me.  I pray for my own children, that You will be mindful of them and pour Your blessings into their lives.  Will You grant to them a hunger & thirst for righteousness, and may they follow Your voice and walk in obedience to You all the days of their lives. 
     Be my help and shield; may I never look to another or fill my life with false idols.  Keep my eyes & mind alert to the things I put above You, that I may repent and trust only in You. 
     I will bless the Lord from this time forth and forevermore - praise the Lord!  In Jesus' name ~ Amen







No comments:

Post a Comment