Sunday, April 3, 2011

Psalm 93

The Majesty of God

The psalms 93-99 are known as "Enthronement Psalms" because all 7 of them celebrate the rule of God the divine King.  Psalm 93 rejoices over the kingship of the Lord - it sets forth the honor of the kingdom of God among men.  It relates to the kingdom of His providence, by which He governs the world, and the kingdom of His grace, by which He secures the church. 

Psalm 93 declares that the Lord reigns
  • gloriously, v.1
  • powerfully, v.1
  • eternally, v.2
  • triumphantly, v.3-4
  • In truth and holiness, v. 5

The Lord on high is mightier
than the mighty waves of the sea.
~ Ps. 93:4
Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him! 
 ~ Mark 4:41


Do you feel like your life is in a "storm" right now?  Do you feel tossed about, even overcome, by waves of doubt, despair, hurt, uncertainty, fear? Verse 4 reminds us that the Lord as an immovable anchor cast in the storm.  



My God, You are my anchor
on a stormy sea,
my serenity on a windy night,
my hope when all else fails.
Your Presence surrounds me
like a protective shield and when
the arrows of my selfishness
pierce through, Your loving arms
extend themselves to reach out
and grasp my wandering soul.       
  ~ Mother Angelica

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God reigns
  • He is clothed with  majesty
  • God is eternal
  • The Lord is mighty
  • The Lord is holy

 HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God as eternal King
  • I praise God that He holds the world - that by His strength the world cannot be moved
  • I bless the Lord that He is my anchor in life's storms
  • I praise the Lord that His testimonies are sure
PRAYER:
     O Lord, Your throne is established from of old; You are from everlasting.  I can never praise You enough that You sought me, made Yourself known to me, and have made me Your own.  I bless You that You are my immovable anchor, that You hold steady when the waves are high and the storm is blowing through my life.  May I keep my eyes focused on You and remember the truth of this psalm:  You established the world and it cannot be moved.  You hold it secure, and You hold me secure. 
     Father, thank You that Your testimonies are sure - that Your promises are true, and Your word can be trusted.  Forgive me, O Lord, when my faith is small . . . give me faith to be sure of what I hope for, and certain of what I do not yet see.  In Jesus' name I pray ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment