Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Psalm 117

The Praise of All Peoples

As the 5th Egyptian Hallel, Psalm 117 is the shortest psalm in the Book of Psalms.





NOTE:  in only 33 words, 3 of them are the word PRAISE.  Get the message?

Remember a few psalms ago when we talked about giving God your first thought each morning?  Psalm 117 is a great "first thought" of each day, isn't it! 
For great is His love towards us,
and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever.
Praise the Lord!
~ Ps. 117:2
Extol means to praise, laud. 

Even though it's just 2 short verses, Psalm 117 holds a glorious truth.  It is cited by the apostle Paul in Romans 15:1 to show that the Gentiles are a part of God's divine plan of salvation:

that the Gentiles might glorify God for His mercy, as it is written:
Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles!
Laud Him, all you peoples!  ~ Rom. 15:1
 WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is due the praise of all the nations and the Gentiles
  • God's love towards His people is great
  • God's faithfulness is everlasting
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise God for His love towards me, in that while I was yet a sinner, Christ died for me. 
But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: 
while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 
 ~ Rom. 5:8
  • I praise God for His faithfulness, that endures forever.  It seems that my faithfulness can hardly last a day!
PRAYER:

     Father, how I praise You for Your great love towards me.  I am continually astounded and amazed by it, and my heart overflows with praise for You.  Thank You that You made me alive, drew me to Yourself, and exchanged my heart of stone for a heart of flesh.   How I bless You for Your faithfulness to me - Praise the Lord!  In Jesus' name ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment