Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Psalm 103

Bless the Lord


Verse 1 of Psalm 103 makes up a song we used to sing in the senior high youth group of my church.  In an unusual sense of timing as we are studying this psalm, I attended the funeral of my youth director just yesterday.  Charles Heinz.  He was a great youth director, and had a strong impact on my life.  I loved the youth trips we used to take with my church:  in the summers to Panama City, and during Christmas breaks to Gatlinburg.  Charles had an amazing voice, and would lead our entire group as we would all sing:
Bless the Lord, O my soul
And all that is within me,
Bless His holy name!

He has done great things,
He has done great things,
He has done great things,
Bless His holy name!

Psalm 103 is a psalm of David.  Matthew Henry notes that in this psalm, David is communing with his own heart, stirring up himself and his own soul to praise God and "he is no fool that thus talks to himself."   

There are many beautiful truths in Psalm 103:




For as the heavens are high above the earth,
So great is His mercy
toward those who fear Him.
~ Ps. 103:11


Regarding verse 13, my Bible comments:
 The image of a Father and His children is one way in which God's covenant is expressed. Children of God are those who fear Him - that is, obey Him.  God has both affection and compassion for His children. 


For He knows our frame;
He remembers that we are dust.
~ Ps. 103:14

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
Psalm 103 names many of God's attributes:
  • forgives our iniquities
  • heals our diseases
  • is our Redeemer
  • Is merciful, gracious, & lovingly kind
  • Is our provider
  • Executes righteousness & justice
  • Is slow to anger
  • Forgives our sin
  • Takes pity & compassion upon His children
  • Has established His throne in Heaven
  • His kingdom rules over all
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • Like David, I praise the Lord for His attributes listed in this Psalm
  • I bless God for the compassion He showed to His children of old . . . and to me!
  • I praise God that He has removed my transgressions  . . as far as the east is from the west
  • I praise God that His mercy is from everlasting to everlasting  . . . and is shown to those who fear Him
PRAYER: by Ruth Myers:
     O Lord, You are full of mercy and compassion toward me.  You know the way I am put together; You know my limitations; You understand that I am dust.  And I praise You that You are greater than any or all of my failures .  . that as my Potter, You are able to mold and remold me, as I submit to Your wisdom and skill . . . that as the master Artist, You are able to take the dark threads of my life - my wounds, my scars, my blotches, the messes I make, and even my sins - and blend them into a beautiful design, to the praise of the glory of Your grace.
     Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name!

2 comments:

  1. I love Charles!!! He impacted my life, too! So glad we will share heaven together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I did too! Such fond, fond memories of those days :)

    ReplyDelete