Thursday, April 28, 2011

Psalm 118

Better to Trust God than People

Psalm 118 is the last of the Egyptian Hallel.

I will praise You,
For You have answered me
And have become my salvation.
~ Ps. 118:21



Biblical scholars believe that David penned this psalm when he had, at last, gained possession of the kingdom to which he had been anointed.  He then invites his friends to join him in a believing expectation of the promised Messiah. 

David opens the psalm with a celebration of God's mercy in general, and calls upon others to acknowledge it from their own experience.  Can you name a time in your own life where you experienced the profound mercy of God?

Verses 19-29 are an illustrious prophecy of the humiliation and exaltation of our Lord Jesus - His sufferings and the glory that should follow.   Peter applies this very scripture in his discourse with the chief priests and scribes:
 let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole. 

This is the stone which was rejected by you builders which has become the chief cornerstone.

Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.   ~ Acts 4:10-12



Bro. Livy Cope was the father of a dear friend of mine, and a pastor of Ridgeway Baptist Church.  He is most well-known for his love of this verse, and he quoted it every day: 

Another great truth for our "first thought" of each day!


Matthew Henry makes this note:


The psalmist concludes with his own thankful acknowledgements of divine grace.  He will have all about him give thanks to God for these glad tidings of great joy to all people, that there is a Redeemer, even Christ the Lord.  In Him it is that God is good to man and that His mercy endures forever.  

He concludes this psalm as he began it, for God's glory must be the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, of all addresses to Him.

The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. . .
The Lord is for me . . .
~ Ps. 118:6-7
Isn't this a comforting truth!

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • The Lord is good; His mercy endures forever
  • God is my help - He answers me in my distress
  • The Lord is on my side - the Lord is for me!
  • The Lord is my strength and my song, and He is my salvation
  • God chastens His children
  • Christ is the Chief Cornerstone
  • God has given us light
  • He is my God
 HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I bless the Lord that He is on my side - that I need not fear man. 
  • I bless the Lord that I can confidently trust Him.
  • The Lord is my help, my strength & song, my salvation
  • I praise God that I can say, with David, "You are my God!"
 PRAYER:
     O Lord, I give thanks to You, for You are good!  Your mercy endures forever!  I bless You that I can say along with David, 'You are my God, and I will praise You!'  
     Father, what a comforting truth to claim that You - the God of the Universe - are on my side.  How blessed I am to be Your child, to know that You are "for" me, and that I do not need to fear man.  May I trust You more and more.
     Father, the declarations of Psalm 118 are rich - You are my strength and my song, and my salvation.  Save now, I pray, O Lord!
     You are my God, and I will praise You.  You are my God, and I will exalt You.  I give thanks to You, O Lord, for You are good, and Your mercy endures forever.  ~ Amen and amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment