Friday, June 17, 2011

Psalm 148

All Creation Praises the Lord
This psalm is a most solemn and earnest call to all creatures, according to their capacity, to praise their Creator and to show form His eternal power and Godhead - the invisible things of which are manifested in the things that are seen.  The psalmist does this by:
  1. calling upon the creatures that are placed in the upper world to praise the Lord
  2. calling upon the creatures of the lower world (on earth) to praise the Lord
Those who were created by command are under command to adore their Creator. The voice which said "Let them be", now saith "Let them praise."
~ Spurgeon
Praise Him, all you starts of light!
Praise Him, you heavens of heavens!
~ Ps. 148:3





Praise the Lord . . . you great sea creatures and all the depths!
~ Ps. 148:7










My Bible notes that all that depend on God's care are charged to praise Him.  This list of those called moves from nature to humankind - young & old, male & female, and all levels of society from top to bottom. 

Kings of the earth and all peoples . . .
Both young men and maidens;
Old men and children.
Let them praise the name of the Lord,
For His name alone is exalted.
~ Ps. 148:11-13

Every time I return to a home football game at my Alma mater, The University of Tennessee, I am amazed at the sight outside the stadium prior to game time - it is a throng of people!  O, that people would praise the Lord with the fervency with which we cheer on our favorite football team!


I could wish that all our lives might end like this book of Psalms, in blessing and praising Almighty God.
Thomas Cheshire, in "A Sermon preached, in Saint Paule's Church," 1641

WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God is worthy of my praise
  • God is Creator & Sustainer of all things
  • God's decrees shall never pass away
  • God's glory is above the earth and heaven
  • God's name alone is exalted
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord as Creator & Sustainer of the universe and all things in it!
PRAYER:
O God, You have given me all that I have,
all that I am,
and I surrender all to Your divine will
that You dispose of me.
Give me only Your love and Your grace,
With this I am rich enough
and I have no more to ask.
Amen
~ Ignatius of Loyola

No comments:

Post a Comment