Psalm 139 makes 2 confirmations:
- God is everywhere present, therefore He knows all
- God made us, therefore He knows us. This is a beautiful truth expressed in verse 1 - God's knowledge, while vast & comprehensive, is personal.
For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother's womb.
My frame was not hidden from You,
when I was made in secret.
~ Ps. 139:13, 15
|When as yet there were none of them.|
You have hedged me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.
~ Ps. 139:5-6
Don't you love the thought of verse 5! I pray this verse frequently for my children - that the Lord would hedge (surround) them with His protection, and lay His hand upon them. A good prayer for those we love
. . . and for ourselves too!
There is so much rich, glorious truth in Psalm 139 - another one of my favorite Bible verses is Ps. 139:23:
Try me and know my anxieties;
And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.
~ Ps. 139:23
Do you struggle with anxious thoughts? Ever felt overwhelmed with anxiety? God knows your anxieties . . . He knows your heart and your struggles. May we give them over to Him and find rest in our souls!
Biblical scholars claim that, of all David's courageous acts: when he slew the lion, successfully encountered a bear, when he went out to meet the giant Goliath, David was most a man of courage because he was determined to explore the recesses of his own heart. May we follow David's example and seek to know - and turn from - our own sin.
When holy men perused themselves in God's light, they saw their sins of omission and commission, and prayed earnestly to be delivered from all.
—William Howels, 1832WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
- God is omniscient
- God is omnipresent
- God knows everything about me!
- God formed me and fashioned me to His exact specifications
- My days are written in God's book
- There is praise for God in each verse of Psalm 139! I praise Him for His omniscience and omnipresence in my life, that I can never escape His presence, that He knows me to the depth of my soul, that I am fearfully & wonderfully made, that my days are written in His book, and that God will lead me in the way everlasting.
- I praise God for His hedge of protection around me and those I love
Father and Lover of life,
You know the depths of my innermost self,
And You understand me.
You protect me on every side,
Shielding me from all harm.
When You put me together
In my mother’s womb,
You knew all about me.
I thank You for the wonder of myself,
And I stand in awe
At all You have made.
As You know and love me,
So may I come to know and love You.
Guide me in Your ways ~ Amen