Monday, February 7, 2011

Psalm 39

Know the Measure of Human Days


 
Why is this dog wearing a muzzle?  So he won’t bite!  King David used this device as an illustration for containing his own tongue – he recognized how harmful and damaging an unguarded tongue can be!  Have you ever heard the saying:
Three things you can never get back:  spent time, the speeding bullet, and the spoken word.
How hurtful and damaging our words can be . . . like knives, our words cut deep; unfortunately, the wounds caused by words can’t be stitched up!  May we remember this and say with King David, "I will restrain  my mouth with a muzzle!"

David spends much time in Psalm 39 focusing on the brevity of life.  In verse 5, he likens life to a vapor.

Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths,
And my age is nothing before You;
Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor.
~ Psalm 39:5
Have you noticed how quickly vapor vanishes?  A puff of steam dissipates in 1 or 2 seconds – it is here briefly, then gone!  Clouds are vapor – as a child, I was fascinated by clouds.  They seem so real . . . that you could really touch them and climb on them if you could ever reach them.  I’ll never forget the first time I flew through a cloud in an airplane . . . it was such a disappointment to realize that clouds are really ‘nothing’ – just particles of water vapor. 

For what is your life?  It is even a vapor that appears for a little time, then vanishes away. ~ James 4:14
 In this Psalm, King David recognizes his mortality.  May we all keep this thought in our minds . . . when compared with eternity, we are only on this earth in this life for a brief time!  David also recognized that, in death, his hope was in the Lord –
And now Lord, what do I wait for?
My hope is in You.  ~ Ps. 39"7
His question is answered by the hope & expectation of the child of God, which is not disappointed. 

 I heard a quote once:  To be truly free is to no longer fear death.

 It seems like Paul was at that perfect peace in this matter – consider his words in Philippians 1:24 
For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain . . . for I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better.  Nevertheless, to remain in the flesh is more needful for you.
  • WHAT CAN I LEARN ABOUT GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • God knows all my days
  • My hope is in God alone
  • This life is a vapor
  • God hears my prayers
HOW CAN I PRAISE GOD THROUGH THIS PSALM:
  • I praise the Lord that my anxiety is eased because I know my days and times are in His hand!  What comfort & assurance!
  • I praise the Lord that my hope is in Him

 PRAYER:
     Father, how grateful I am that I am Your child!  How you ease my anxious heart.  Forgive me, O Lord, when I trust You so little.  I am weak, yet You are strong.  Bear me up in my frailty.
    Father, if it would please You, grant me length of years to love my family on this earth – to be a wife to my husband and a mother to my sons.  Thank You for these priceless blessings You’ve poured out in my life, and for every member of my family.  May I fill those roles in such a way that brings glory & honor to You.
     When it is my time to die, O Lord, may I not be afraid, but sweetly enter into Your Presence with joy and singing.  The unknown can be so frightening, Lord – give me courage & strength!
     In Jesus’ name I pray ~ Amen

My 50th birthday is tomorrow.  I say with David,
"My age is as nothing before You."  ~ Ps. 39:5

No comments:

Post a Comment